Speed: TV2 or TV3 (1 Viewer)

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Qucik question: Which is fastest - TV2 or TV3?

Whicch changes channels fastest? does one perform quicker than the other? Is one les resource intensive? etc

Thanks!

I'm happily running TV2, but its just feeling a bit sluggish - so anything that speeds it up is good! I guess I could look into a new CPU and more ram, but my moneys all going on a big TV and surround sound :D

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Well I have only a "production" machine, which is running TV2 as I want it, and I relly dont want to mess it up!

I had a quick go at installing and using TV3, but i couldnt get the tv channels showing.

Basically, if it was a known fact that TV3 was quite a lot faster then I would probably risk changing my setup, and spending time sorting it all out.

I guess I could stick in a second hard drive, reinstall windows and then TV3 - it just would have been easier to have a "yes ts faster" or "no not really" answer...

thanks anyway.

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    in my opinion:
    - tv3 is faster (especially with the new tsreader.ax filter)
    - supports hdtv

then again:
    - does not support as much analog cards as TV2
    - for some people its less stable then TV2

Frodo

S.O.P

Portal Pro
    January 13, 2007
    Home Country
    I've tried 0.2.2, 0.2.3 RC1, latest SVNs and TV3. The amount of trouble I've had and the earbashing from the wife, I just leave a stock RC1 install on the computer. Nothing breaks, nothing changes and it seems to work for what I/the wife needs it for.

TV3 I had timeshift issues, laptop wouldn't stream smoothy and would hang, couldn't get xmltv to work properly, latest svns (with MyTV 0.2 as well) I would get 100% CPU on 1080i sources among other things.

I think the premise behind TV3 is absolutely awesome, some of the features are really handy, but until it reaches a stable release I will leave the bug testing up to others. The wife hates it when I'm tweaking it constantly trying to get it to work properly.

RC1 is simple and it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom