split MP up... (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

I would like to see this take the route of mythTV, mce, etc in the following way: many users would like to have a central data storage repository and several clients around the house accesing the main server. Of course someone could run the client and server on the same PC...

Is there a chance or is it even possible to break up MP into a client/server app?

Thanks for a great product! Look forward to see where you guys are headed.

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Country flag
    we have discussed this in several threads allready.
    We have thought about it, and it is in the todo.txt

but,
    we are not sure yet on how to do it.

A

Anonymous

Nice to hear that it is coming down the pipe (or at least being considered)

The open source http://www.gbpvr.com/index.html is more of a client/server version but is being done really nice and is open source. I would really like to use media portal on a remote device like the hauppauge someday...

These projects looks similar... Maybe a merge, and some royal kicking of Tixo's butt?!?

Morten

Portal Member
    November 29, 2004
    Norway
    Gbpvr is free to use, but not opesource....

Regarding the topic of this thread; I'm all for a spilt.

I know and understand the argumetns of MrMario, but I think that a split into more of a server client architecture will bring flexibility to MP.
    If there is a server base, it would be easier and cleaner to make frontend support from other devices, such as the Hauppauge MVP.
    In the long run I think MP will gain from this.

-I know it would make my life easier if it was split into server/client as I'm distriburing tv to several rooms in my house. I'd love to be able to do this through MP, and have the option to watch different shows in different rooms.

Keep up the exellent work, and maybe when it's closer to x-mas I'll be able to contribute regardig this issue.

//Morten

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Hi, must be really a while, cuz I can not remember any post from you ;) But might be also that I joined the team too late. Yes, there will be many things. Main reason is simply, that MP2 is not developed based on MP1. I for example never used MP1. I tried it lately to test voice control and was shocked about many inconsistancies in...
    Hi, must be really a while, cuz I can not remember any post from you ;) But might be also that I joined the team too late. Yes...
    It´s been a while... :) Well, simply the reason is cause MP1 was working so well... :) Now I decided to upgrade my old servers and...
    Replies
    Views
    Hi all. Odd problem. :giggle: I have stand alone TV Server and TV Client setup. Both running latest test release of MP1, both in Win10 machines. TV Server device has 2 networks active - 192.168.1.230/24 on WiFi and 192.168.2.230/24 wired into Powerline [just as switch here, it's for keyboard & mouse share, network is not routed...
    Hi all. Odd problem. :giggle: I have stand alone TV Server and TV Client setup. Both running latest test release of MP1, both...
    Hi all. Odd problem. :giggle: I have stand alone TV Server and TV Client setup. Both running latest test release of MP1, both...
    Replies
    Views
    I have never used a Silicon Dust network tuner, but from reading elsewhere I have a recollection that in Silicon Dust's own configuration tool you need to select "MediaPortal" as the output destination (or something like that). So this might be worth checking (just in case I have remembered it correctly). -- from CyberSimian in the UK
    I have never used a Silicon Dust network tuner, but from reading elsewhere I have a recollection that in Silicon Dust's own...
    Hello, I am a new MP user. I recently installed MP2.3 on a HTPC running Win 7 64 bit. I have an networked Silicon Dust HDHR3-US...
    Replies
    Views
    I think MPExtended need rework for support this - andrewjswan/MPExtended Maybe better direct select to TV SQL DB? Or look how MPExtended get this info ...
    I think MPExtended need rework for support this - andrewjswan/MPExtended Maybe better direct select to TV SQL DB? Or look how...
    Hi everyone, I am hoping someone can help with the following. I am based in the UK. I have a family member who has a disability...
    Replies
    Views
    Good, FYI I can confirm that both the BBC and ITV (live and catchup content) work fine for me. Sadly to the best of my knowledge 4 has not worked at all for ages and I do not use Netflix or Amazon. Good luck with the other problem.
    Good, FYI I can confirm that both the BBC and ITV (live and catchup content) work fine for me. Sadly to the best of my knowledge 4...
    Hi Guys, The WAF has dropped considerably on the MP setup at home, so I've set today aside to upgrade/sort out/ housekeeping...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom