SQL Server Config (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

staigerpaip

September 30, 2006
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi,

There is 1 important thing missing in the wiki for configuring the SQL Server. For remote clients to connect to SQL Server 2005 Express the SQL Server browser service has to running. External clients can not connect to the server because the browser service communicates the dynamic port used by the server to the client.

This can be done with the SQL Server Configuration Manager. Right click on the browser service. Select properties --> Service tab. Set startup mode to automatic and start the service.

Good luck.

Tinus

staigerpaip

September 30, 2006
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
All clients communicate directly with the sql server used by the tv server. Even if you have the media portal client running on the same machine. When the client runs on a different machine it has to communicate with the sql server with tcp/ip (over your network). SQL server uses dynamic ports and the browser service handles the client requests and "tells" them the right port to "talk" to.

Tinus

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Canberra
Home Country
also i have found that in order for my client to connect i had to disable windows firewall on the server, not sure if anyone else has to do that tho

DonBogo

Portal Pro
July 26, 2006
Home Country
Italy Italy
also i have found that in order for my client to connect i had to disable windows firewall on the server, not sure if anyone else has to do that tho

Yes, using Windows Firewall (or any other) you have to open all the TCP / UDP ports used by TV server / client communication and SQL.
To test the TV server yesterday evening and don't loose time I've directly disabled all the firewall - just opening the SQL ports described in Frodo's wiki didn't work.

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    The information in the first post... finally fixed my connection problem. Is this in the Wiki?

ainvar

Portal Member
    July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    DataBase Config

I can see that the server use Gentle (xml connection configuration) to access the database. It's an ORM that support some others RDBMS than Sql Server. Would be possible change the ServerTv dialog configuration to use some other RDBMS (ej MySQL) ??

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In theory no problem, no. That's why we chose Gentle.NET. So maybe (no promise) at the end power users can use other database servers. Still development is in a too early phase to decide if/how that option will be opened for the end user. But as said, if you know what to tweak and where (and are ready for something that has never been tested, so not guaranteed to work), it's already possible with some code changes.

THDBASED

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Oh please open it up for the end users :) I am using a VIA Epia system as my server and MSSQL Express does not run on this board...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom