SQL Server Express Setup (1 Viewer)

BugsBunny

Portal Pro
April 22, 2006
Tirol
Home Country
Austria Austria
1) Maybe it would be possible to add the new SQL 2005 security update:
http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/secu/2008/06/sqlserver2005-kb948109-x86-enu_bf9dc30924a456d3dcffb97fb3d0109abd642fa2.exe

2) Maybe the installer could set the following reg key:
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib\AdminConnection\Tcp]
"TcpDynamicPorts"="1434"
This would prevent the annoying SQLServerBrowser warning
"The configuration of the AdminConnection\TCP protocol in the SQL instance SQLEXPRESS is not valid."
in the application log.

BugsBunny

Portal Pro
April 22, 2006
Tirol
Home Country
Austria Austria
I forgot to mention that Microsoft Update requires the SQL SQL 2005 security update after installing MP RC2 with the integrated SQL install.

VashStampede

Portal Member
August 16, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Another addition to the MS SQL setup. If you change the password to a simple password (i.e. admin) the SQL setup will not like it and will not install SQL. So maybe a warning can be put into place.

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy

We cannot follow all M$ updates to be sure to be up-to-date. The best approach is to do a WindowsUpdate regularly and in particoular after a software installation.

2) Maybe the installer could set the following reg key:
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib\AdminConnection\Tcp]
    "TcpDynamicPorts"="1434"
    This would prevent the annoying SQLServerBrowser warning
    "The configuration of the AdminConnection\TCP protocol in the SQL instance SQLEXPRESS is not valid."
    in the application log.

Sorry but this doesn't seems to be the fix for this warning.
    Google-ing about this message take it down to user misconfigurations, like firewall blocking some ports or multiple services usng the same TCP port.

Another addition to the MS SQL setup. If you change the password to a simple password (i.e. admin) the SQL setup will not like it and will not install SQL. So maybe a warning can be put into place.

The only check done by the installer is that the password cannot be blank.
    So you may have some local policy in place preventing "admin" as password. Are you part of a domain ?

Simone

VashStampede

Portal Member
    August 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

The only check done by the installer is that the password cannot be blank.
    So you may have some local policy in place preventing "admin" as password. Are you part of a domain ?

Simone[/QUOTE]

It could have been a local policy, but I am just using a home computer (XP SP3). I cannot remember the exact message the SQL setup gave me, but it was something about the password being too simple. Second installation try worked when keeping the MediaPortal password.

BugsBunny

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2006
    Tirol
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Sorry but this doesn't seems to be the fix for this warning.
    Google-ing about this message take it down to user misconfigurations, like firewall blocking some ports or multiple services usng the same TCP port.
    For me it has fixed the problem - but my XP installation is not a 100% standard installation - I've disabled 'bout 20 services that are not required for a media center amongst some other things.
    I've been doing some searching about this warning and the most valuable information about it I've found here:
    The configuration of the AdminConnection\TCP protocol in the SQL instance SQLEXPRESS is not valid - TechNet Forums
    There I found the reg entry that fixed the warning for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom