SQLite instead of MS SQL (1 Viewer)

STSC

Portal Pro
December 4, 2004
Germany
Hello,

are there any plans for implementing support of SQLite again in TVE3. In my opinion it is more than fast enough for 99% of all users. MS SQL takes a lot of resources and I don't know if you really need MS SQL for a coule database entries.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    In my opinion SQLite isn't working that well with threading that it could be even cosidered as an option.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    For example web guide and Tv Engine can be accessing the same database at same time. In MP we have seen that SQLite can block the abother thread completely when there are multiple database access ongoing simultaneous.

patrick

Portal Pro
    April 20, 2005
    Southeast
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi,

Just saw this thread and since I have been playing with SQLite I thought I would add what I have found.

If the switch was to System.Data.SQLite (http://sqlite.phxsoftware.com)
    An open-source, enhanced version of the SQLite database engine for Windows
    When handled properly threading is not a problem.
    The only restriction is a reader cannot read while the database is being
    written to and the reverse (It has built-in retries).
    Renamed it is a drop-in replacement for the standard sqlite dll file.
    And it has other enhancements when programming with .Net such as
    parameterized queries that can greatly increase speed.

Just my 2 cents :)

patrick

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,

In my setup SQL server takes about 24MB of memory (so would a well-configured MySQL database, by the way). I wouldn't call that resource-hungry now that 512MB or even more is pretty much standard.

Personally I wouldn't even mind it taking more memory as it will more likely avoid high cost disk I/O and keep the system responding well.

Another bad thing (IMHO even worse than the "single writer causes no readers" issue) is that all datatypes are implicitly converted to strings. You can even store a character string in a number field if you'd like to...

File databases in the end just don't scale well when being accessed from multiple sources. Not to mention remote connectivity to a database.

Kind regards,
    Michel

rgluga

July 7, 2009
    Please reconsider looking at file-based DBMS alternatives. There are a number to choose from these days including SQLite, HSQLDB, Derby DB, VistaDB Express, etc.

I really want to ditch WMC and MediaPortal is the closest thing to it. One of the main things keeping me away at the moment is that it's still too bloated. I don't want to run a MS SQL / MySQL server just to watch TV. I was trying to get away from all this when I ditched MythTV. I don't particularly like the client/server TV architecture either, but that's a different story.

Having an embedded DB will help make the package as self-contained as possible. I personally think this is a must for the future of the project.

aidbish

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2007
    righthandside 3/4 way up
    Please reconsider looking at file-based DBMS alternatives. There are a number to choose from these days including SQLite, HSQLDB, Derby DB, VistaDB Express, etc.

I really want to ditch WMC and MediaPortal is the closest thing to it. One of the main things keeping me away at the moment is that it's still too bloated. I don't want to run a MS SQL / MySQL server just to watch TV. I was trying to get away from all this when I ditched MythTV. I don't particularly like the client/server TV architecture either, but that's a different story.

Having an embedded DB will help make the package as self-contained as possible. I personally think this is a must for the future of the project.

this is fine for single client, what about us who have multiple clients running off the TV server
    wouldn't that be an issue

rgluga

July 7, 2009
    this is fine for single client, what about us who have multiple clients running off the TV server

VistaDB Express allows remote connections, so you have one instance of this on the TV Server, and the clients connect just as if they were connecting to a MySQL DB.

See this page for a comparison between VistaDB and Microsoft SQL CE. The table down the bottom seems to suggest it supports multiple remote users as any normal DBMS.

I haven't personally used VistaDB myself (I'm more of a Java developer), but this just came up from a quick Google search for embedded .NET databases. The Express edition is free for non-commercial or open-source projects.

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007

Agree! Me personally I would even appreciate moving the rest of the databases also from sqlite to mysql - since it's running anyway and much easier to tweak. I understand, that for a simple standalone tv-appl this seems oversized - but there are solutions like DVB-Viewer to cover this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom