SQLServer Express on VIA Eden (1 Viewer)

THDBASED

Portal Pro
January 30, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Wanted to try the new TVserver tonight, so I started by installing SQLServer 2005 Express on my little server I wanted to use, a VIA Epia board running Windows Server 2003 SP1. When the installer wanted to start the SQLServer service I got an error, crap...I tried a couple of times but still the same error. After a while I decided to google to find a solution. I then found this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;919392

Double crap, So because I wanted to use an Epia to use as my server I can forget about putting my TVcard into this little board.

Hopes crushed, maybe someone can find a solution for this problem?

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Microsoft has no plans to provide support for CPUs that do not support cache prefetching.

Frodo and the team have already re-written the dodgy MS TS recording engine. Can't really expect them to rewrite MS SQL as well :)

There was some talk about a possibility to port the database to different bases but I figure that won't be happening until all the work on the TV engine itself is mostly finished. If it's low power you are looking for, most AMD CnQ and Core Duos have great power management nowadays. I know it's best to reuse existing hardware, but this is definately an MS short fall (or an Eden shortfall depending on how you look at it).

THDBASED

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    And there is no alternitive other than MS Sql Server that does the same as MSSQL maybe something open source?

THDBASED

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I just did some more digging into the forum and found that with Gentle.net any database could be used. So I am thinking of using Mysql because I know it runs on my hardware. I have read that it only takes small adjustments to use Mysql instead of MSSQL. Could someone put something in the Wiki or reply to this thread how to make these adjustments? There are probably more people out there who will find this information helpfull.

zion22

Portal Pro
    April 6, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I'm pretty certain that there will be support for mySQL and other stuff aswell in the (near?) future.

Just a guess tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom