SSD for tv (1 Viewer)

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    So I've been having some glitches with my tv recordings ever since I started using MP ages ago. The glitches happen when the wind picks up(tv here uses an antenna).. But sometimes I can't figure out for the life of me what's wrong.

99.9% of the time it's perfect, but for the other time it's annoying as he'll and I can't figure it out.

I'm wondering if an SSD would help either as a OS drive or Timeshift drive. If I'm recording a tv show and the timeshift drive is an SSD and the recording drive is a regular HDD, does it make a difference?

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

If you provide logs when the issue happens, that should help to identify where the issue is - Without these we're guessing :(

So the issue is while recording and timeshifting (watching live TV) ? If you do one or the other its fine?

J.

allanp81

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2006
    It's not worth buying an SSD for timeshifting etc. as the actual write speeds you need for recording TV are so low, any spinning disk should be up to the job.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Ok well I was burning a DVD on my server PC - while watching tv on my client tv. Watching tv on the client pc all glitches up like the process of burning a DVD interferes with the tv tuner making the timeshift file. Sending the video/audio over Ethernet (100mbit)from the server to the client pc couldn't possibly be an issue. Afterwards, the resulting video file stays bad.. So is that my CPU on my server pc being choked up? It's a phenomII 3-core at 2.8ghz and tvservice process is normally running at 10% only...

I'm just avoiding burning DVDs and watching/recording tv at the same time for now.. Lol

Strong winds seems to effect my reception and glitches up tv also...

Anyway.. It's not apparently an issue an SSD can help.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hmm - well now I rebooted my server pc
    and everythings fine.

:)

most likely software glitch to do with MP, windows 7 or the cpu/ram not handling it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom