SSD or not SSD - that is the question. (1 Viewer)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Ok, so I know that Hamlet was not concerned with Hard Drives, but I am.

I have currently got my operating system running off a 60GB partitioned Samsung F6 laptop hard drive.

I have noted that SSD prices have plummeted recently and I am considering getting a 60GB one just for my operating system.

Before I do so, I was just wondering whether it would actually be worth me doing this.

I am intending to timeshift from RAM (still sorting this out), thus the SSD will have no involvement in this and I never turn my HTPC off - it just goes in and out of sleep whenever it is or isn't needed.

I would be really grateful for other user's experiences of Mediaportal with an SDD or indeed beneftis generally in an HTPC.

In particular, would it speed up my recorded programmes list as this seems quite slow on my setup at present?

Thanks a lot.

A

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

IMHO - go for ssd! :)

It made my htpcs so much more snappier - fanart and menus are soooo much better :)

J.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    That's it, you have convinced me. I shall order something this weekend.

Like Pantene - I think I am worth it!

Good point about the WAF - might help my girlfriend be more forgiving of my drilling up our house to run ethernet cables everywhere.

Right, next question - which one?

I reckon a 60/64gb would suffice and there seem to be lots out there now. I have looked into buying one of these before and there are loads out there?

What would you recommend?

I have heard that the OCZ 60GB Agility 3 SSD is pretty good - on at a reduced £70 at Ebuyer at the moment.

jonm

Portal Pro
    January 12, 2009
    Wales
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Yep go for it, makes a big difference, esp. with wake from suspend which is pretty much instant and much more like an 'appliance' than a PC. I have OCZ Vertex SSDs in all my PCs now- recommended.

mmmalas

Portal Member
    February 11, 2012
    Ok, so I know that Hamlet was not concerned with Hard Drives, but I am.

I have currently got my operating system running off a 60GB partitioned Samsung F6 laptop hard drive.

I have noted that SSD prices have plummeted recently and I am considering getting a 60GB one just for my operating system.

Before I do so, I was just wondering whether it would actually be worth me doing this.

I am intending to timeshift from RAM (still sorting this out), thus the SSD will have no involvement in this and I never turn my HTPC off - it just goes in and out of sleep whenever it is or isn't needed.

I would be really grateful for other user's experiences of Mediaportal with an SDD or indeed beneftis generally in an HTPC.

In particular, would it speed up my recorded programmes list as this seems quite slow on my setup at present?

Thanks a lot.

A

you had replied to my post so its only fair that I share my experiance with you.

SSD will speed u starting of OS and applications, the main thing isaccess time (low reads eg 4k).

as for burst rates, those are rarely usefull as unless you are copying from SSD to another.

I just say 4GB laptop RAM going for £10 a while ago on hukd.

as for RAM drive, I use dataram, the free version allows up to 4GB of ram drive. benchmark wise, it MAXED all benchmarks

far far much faster than SSD, ie 6GB/s read \ write, ofcourse this is limited by the software emulation.
    access time is even faster than SSD.

if you getting an SSD, get something like sand force, which does compression, ie if you fill it up, it would not physicly fill it up, as data is stored compressed, this is very handy as it gives the SSD space to shift data around for maximum life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom