Operating System SSD: your ideas for optimal configuration (1 Viewer)

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi guys, I just got me a 40GB Intel 320 SSD and I would like to know your ideas on how to configure W7/MP for it and maybe this could be used as a guideline (sticky/wiki).

My first idea was to do like this:
    1) move/disable swapfile
    2) move temp files/dirs
    3) move complete profile to mechanical drive by making a symlink
    4) disable indexing for SSD
    5) for timshifting there are 3 options and I have no clue what would be the better option: RAMDISK, leave on SSD or move to mechanical drive.

Am I forgetting something and what are your opinions/experiences?

Thanks in advance!

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Since you're using an Intel SSD I suggest installing the Intel SSD Toolbox and use the "optimize windows for SSD" function that comes with it.

The only thing I'd do after that is to move timeshifting to a RAMdisk. Atleast that's what the people in the SSD-thread in the storage forum seems to like.

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi zicoz, thank you for your answer!
    If I understand it correctly, reading the Intel SSD toolbox product page it's just a watchdog but the trim function of W7 makes erased space available again, right?

Regarding using a RAMdisk, I'm stuck on using W7/32-bit because of my tv-card (no 64-bit support).
    There are a few products that surpass the 4GB Ram limit but not for free.
    Would creating a small partition on the SSD for timeshifting be a better option then just leaving it on the systemdrive?

What are other users doing regarding 1-4, is what I'm doing overkill/useless/...?

JackTramiel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 22, 2006
    Recklinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: SSD: your ideas for optimal configuration

Beside of timeshift, and probably only watching tv a lot, i wouldnt care too much on ssd lifetime.
    Because of the dedicated server there is no timeshift on my client. Did nothing spezial, just installed windows 7.
    SSD is still on 100% - thats what CrystalDisk tells me. Might be wrong, but never faced any issues and its
    as fast as it was the first day. Even if it will die after 3-5 years - it was worth it. And a new one wont be that
    expensive in 2014.

Today i am using a ramdisk for timeshift. Before i used a 2.5" wd hdd for system and timeshift. Worked well.
    If there is a hdd alread i would just try putting timeshift on it. If it works - no cost. If not - buy a solution.

4) Isnt indexing disabled by default if windows 7 recognizes a ssd drive? As far as i know windows will optimize
    itself running on a ssd drive.

All manual settings might help perfomance and lifetime of a ssd drive. No doubt.

And i would not disable swapfile.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    The reason why I suggested RAMdisk for timeshifting is that people have reported stuttering on their Live-TV when using both SSD and HDD, but that's gone away with the RAMdrive.

But it's just a suggestion if you don't have this stuttering it's not needed. And you can always pick up one of these:

OCZ Z-Drive R4 1.6TB PCIe 2.0 x8 SSD Full Review - 8 SF-2200's Can't Be Wrong! | PC Perspective

:p

As for the Intel Toolbox it does a couple of things:

- Intel SSD Optimizer This is the TRIM optimizer
    - System Configuration Tuner: This sets up your system for an SSD (Disable Superfetch/Prefetch/Readyboost, DIPM enable and disk defrag disable).

Those are the things Intel does so I don't think there is any point to doing more then that.

Personally my timeshifting is running on a 2GB RAMdisk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom