Ongoing "Stack of Books" DIY HTPC client enclosure (1 Viewer)

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Well, I finally have my new client working to my satisfaction, but I cannot stop there. I'm now designing a new DIY enclosure for it that will hopefully make it less noticeable on my shelf. I have all kinds of assumptions floating around in my head on how to proceed, but would like some input from the community. My biggest issue is deciding what materials to use to build the final enclosure and some trepidation with making a non-metal enclosure. The goal is to have the "books" bound in cloth with printed labels on the spine and top cover to add to the camouflage.

I've begun with a design in a 3D program and already am putting together a mock-up in balsa wood panels. Each of the tiers have large openings between to allow airflow. The bottom book holds the motherboard and two enclosure fans(push/pull). The center book holds the 2 1/2" HDD (there is room for 3 side-by-side) and a full height Optical drive (which extends into the top book). The forward end of the top book conceals the optical-disk tray.The main footprint is 8 7/8 inches x 11 1/2 inches. The magazine on the bottom is part of the design, to raise the books up for ventilation from underneath. The total height is about 5 3/4 inches tall.

Hopefully the stacked/angled book look will disguise the PC sufficiently.

Stacked Books PC.JPG

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Interesting thoughts. :)
    I wonder how much a wooden case will affect cooling. Would have thought metal cases would be much better at disipating heat through convection, so might pay to consider that loss of capability in your fan and sizing calculations.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I'm also concerned about EM radiation, so I need some sort of shielding for that. Everything will also have to be "earthed" to the power supply. One idea I had was to use 2mm thick aluminum panels (if I can find them) for the actual box. The book "covers" will have linen cloth applied to the outside surfaces with epoxy, and the "pages" will be painted with a flat automotive enamel. The second book will be vented along the full width of the back surface. The cut-outs between the bottom and second book are 6" dia, directly over the system board. The purpose of the system fans is to keep air moving, one drawing in air from the front/bottom at one corner, the other exhausting out the back at the opposing corner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom