starting other programs with the remote (1 Viewer)

Vulture

Portal Member
January 14, 2006
Nieuwendijk (NB)
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
does anyone know if it's possible to have som remote buttons start various other programs?

I use the X10 USB remote from Marmitek (X10-other setting).
I want to have som spare buttons on the remote to run extra programs to control some other hardware on the pc.

It would be very easy if the buttons could be mapped directly to some .exe file or something.
When I look into the key mapping editor of the X10 remote in MP configurator, it's not possible to start an exe-file.

is there another way?

x-p-d

Portal Member
August 3, 2006
Hampshire, U.K
I dont know about Grider/Girder, but UICE can do this.

In UICE, you can map the buttons to tell the remote sensor to apply remote keypresses to the "current screen", so say you have Windows media player open full screen, you can set keypresses to apply to WMP, etc.

Its extremely clever, and i dont think i've hit the tip of the iceberg yet.

UICE: http://www.mediatexx.com/download/index.htm

Edit: your remote is Marmitek!? :lol: you either hate it or love it then? :lol:

Vulture

Portal Member
January 14, 2006
Nieuwendijk (NB)
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I know what all these programs do, but they need to do it when MediaPortal is running and using the driver of the remote.

is it possible to use mediaportal with the X10 remote and at the same time use girder or uice to 'catch' the other key presses and redirect them to other programs.

I used Girder a lot and it's an absolute fantastic program.
perhaps I need to use girder to communicate with the remote and direct all the key presses to the programs I want, including Mediaportal.

x-p-d

Portal Member
August 3, 2006
Hampshire, U.K
Well i dont see why not, as i said in my post above, if you map the buttons via UICE to another program, then that program will respond and not MP.

You might have to find a button/s which MP doesn't use, though.

In UICE, you can set it to apply the mapped keypresses to either a specific program, or "to current screen" which is good.

For instance, i have mapped all the buttons to MP for my remote, so i can minimise MP and then press a button to open videolan, too.

UICE is a free download, so you've got no reason to try it out! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom