Still having issues with EPG...need serious help. WebEPG/Schedules Direct (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ok...followed your instructions 1-5...here's a screen shot of the finished scan titled "New Channels". I mapped all those channels as described to the other tuner.
    Great. :)

I think I'm missing channels. For instance in the "Channel Selections" image, you'll notice they all seem to be Digital Only channels.
    Well that's no surprise since you've been doing digital scans.
    As it says in the wiki:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ration/02_TV_Servers/7b_Scan_ATSC#Tuning_mode
    ...the "ATSC" side of the tuner is the digital side; the analog side has a separate scanning section.

Channels like normal broadcast 2 (CBS), 3 (TBS), 5 (NBC), 7 (ABC), 9 (WGN), and 13 (FOX)...are all missing. Do I need to scan Analog TV as well to receive those?
    The only answer I can give is: you should scan analog if TW delivers those channels to you via analog... but obviously I don't know if that's actually the case. From my perspective it's entirely possible that these channels may be found among the "Unknown..." channels from the digital scan. On that topic: "unknown..." means TV Server wasn't able to find the name, most likely because TW isn't broadcasting it in a way that your tuner can receive. Most of those channels are expected to be encrypted (and therefore not receivable with your tuner)... but sometimes they're not.

So where do you go from here, you ask me?
    Well, I don't know for sure.
    It wouldn't hurt to do an analog scan. Especially if you know that TW still does analog cable in your area. If you do do that, make sure to pair up your tuners in hybrid card configuration:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...er_Configuration/02_TV_Servers/1_Hybrid_Cards

You'd create 2 card groups; one for each tuner. Each group would contain one analog and one digital tuner. This configuration is necessary because your tuners can only do digital OR analog, not both at the same time.

Dragon41673

August 7, 2015
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Ok...tried doing as you said, and I'm running in to issues.

The "Card Selections for Paring" image shows the following...

1 ATSC & 1 Analog Tuner NOT Highlighted...that was placed in to a Group called "Win-TV2250 Dual Tuner (1)"
    1 ATSC & 1 Analog Tuner Highlighted...that was placed in to a Group called "Win-TV2250 Dual Tuner (2)"

The "Hybrid Listings" shows they were paired...

When I go to try & scan Analog channels...windows crashes & forces a reboot.

I've attached the log files again in case you can see what is happening. On previous attempts (before I started this thread)...I had tried Analog scanning, and it never picked up anything. I checked with Windows Media Center & WinTV8...and both were receiving Analog channels so I know for sure I receive them...especially since I don't have a full digital subscription with Time Warner, nor do I have their Digital Set Top Box.

Attachments

• Card Selections for Paring.png
      Card Selections for Paring.png
      38.2 KB
    • Hybrid Listings.png
      Hybrid Listings.png
      28.9 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The "Hybrid Listings" shows they were paired...
    It looks like that is configured correctly. (y)

When I go to try & scan Analog channels...windows crashes & forces a reboot.
    There is a known issue with the HVR2250 drivers and analog scanning.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/hvr-2250-scanning-channels-causes-crash.102858/

It seems the driver link provided on that website is no longer working. You'll have to try to hunt down the 7.9.1.28162 version. Sorry I can't be more helpful with that.

I checked with Windows Media Center & WinTV8...and both were receiving Analog channels so I know for sure I receive them...especially since I don't have a full digital subscription with Time Warner, nor do I have their Digital Set Top Box.
    Okay. I mean, I can only take your word for it. Note that TVs often have built in clear QAM tuners, so the fact that you don't have an STB doesn't mean the channels aren't digital.

Dragon41673

August 7, 2015
    Home Country
    Ok...I got the older driver installed after a complete wipe of the "new" driver using their driver & software removal program. The older driver is working fine from what I can tell.

Analog scan completed, picture attached...but still missing a couple channels like 2 (CBS...out of Chicago which I get on my TV) which is somewhat ok as I am picking up the Milwaukee CBS station on Channel 8. I got roughly 90%-95% of the channels...which I will take as acceptable at this point as it could simply be signal drop or too much resistance in the line causing the issue.

Are there any other steps I need to take before heading off to try the EPG again as per your pending instructions?

Attachments

• Analog Scan.png
      Analog Scan.png
      39.7 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    That's great news! Sounds like we're making good progress here, eh? :)

Analog scan completed, picture attached...but still missing a couple channels like 2 (CBS...out of Chicago which I get on my TV) which is somewhat ok as I am picking up the Milwaukee CBS station on Channel 8. I got roughly 90%-95% of the channels...which I will take as acceptable at this point as it could simply be signal drop or too much resistance in the line causing the issue.
    Yes, it could be signal drop.
    If you want to push your luck, you could try to create the channels manually following the procedure here:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...guration/03_TV_Channels/Add_or_Edit_a_Channel

After creating the channel, you'll have to map it to your tuners in order for it to work. That's the same process you did for the second tuner after the digital scan on the first tuner.

Are there any other steps I need to take before heading off to try the EPG again as per your pending instructions?
    No, I think you're pretty much there. :)
    I on the other hand have been up all night (I'm in New Zealand - it's now 6:30 AM) working on an assignment that's due at 9 AM, and won't be finished. I'm exhausted and somewhat demoralised.
    The short answer is: I recommend you use mc2xml to get the SchedulesDirect data into an XMLTV file that can be imported by TV Server's XMLTV plugin:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_..._TV_Setup/4_TV_Guide_Setup_(EPG)/XMLTV_mc2xml

The reason for doing it this way is that the XMLTV plugin gives you explicit control over which guide data is linked to which channel(s). That's as opposed to the SD plugin which attempts (and usually fails) to automatically link the guide data, and doesn't provide any way to force the mapping except by labouriously renaming channels.

Don't get me wrong. XMLTV isn't a bed of roses. It has its qwerks... but at least there is a walkthrough. Ultimately it is your choice, but yeah... if I were you I'd definitely go the mc2xml + XMLTV route.

...and now I think I must crash. Please forgive me if I don't respond in a timely manner for the next 24 hours or so.

Dragon41673

August 7, 2015
    Home Country
    No problem, thank you for all your help. I actually will have to step away for a while anyways as we are going out. I work the next 5 days straight, so I will be sporadic in responding myself until next weekend, but I will continue to try.

Thank you very much!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    No problem. :)
    Hopefully I've given you enough to at least try to get your EPG sorted. If not, feel free to throw your questions up in here and I'll respond as soon as time allows.
    Until then, see you around! :)

Dragon41673

August 7, 2015
    Home Country
    Sorry, I just re-read your next to last post talking about XMLTV...

Good luck on the project you need to finish, sorry for taking up so much of your time, but if it's any consolation...I'm close I can almost taste it...but I'm still having issues.

I followed your instructions, and I got XMLTV going with the Schedules Direct info...but when I go to the import step in the setup guide...it doesn't import. It shows that it tried...gives me the date & time...and that there's 76 channels to pull from the guide...but it never says anything in Import Status and gives a 0 for Total Programs Imported. Please see attached pic...and I've included log files if needed.

As a side note...the mapping worked...but I've got a lot of red channels I need to figure out.

Thanks![DOUBLEPOST=1439171532][/DOUBLEPOST]Scratch that...I didn't save the file. It has been saved now and has loaded. I checked the guide, and it is showing a good deal of programs with info...so I'm ALMOST there.

Thank you again for your assistance...hopefully I can get it the rest of the way. If not...I will repost.

Attachments

• XMLTV.png
      XMLTV.png
      29 KB
    Last edited:

Dragon41673

August 7, 2015
    Home Country
    I apologize for not getting back to update this progress. I was in an accident at work on the 11th, and ended up with a broken toe. Sadly...my trial expired for the guide...so I'm going to have to tinker with it some more & make another email up to get another 7 day trial. Probably won't be for another week or so...but I'll post here if there's any issues.

Thank you again for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom