Storage/media server? (1 Viewer)

AkilleuZ

August 29, 2007
I do allso have a computer as server in my bedroom.

But i have just enabled wake on lan on the networkcard, and enable S3.

I then use a program called TOff, that monitors the network activity and if there is no activity the server powers down in S3 mode.

That means if im browsing the "videos" from my HTPC in the living room, it wil power up, and i can wath the movies pictures etc. when the movies is finisehd it will power down to S3 agian.

Rexxars

Portal Member
November 22, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
I have been running a JBOD setup using FreeNAS as the OS, 13 disks in one big array. It served me well until I had to expand past 2TB, the tools available to expand the filesystem didn't understand that many sectors and so I decided to try and find a more robust solution.

So I'm now running Openfiler with 8x 500GB disks in a RAID5 setup. On top of that I've got LVM and ReiserFS as the OS. I use Samba to share the files and it works pretty nicely. 30-35MB/s and lets me have access to all 3TB of storage. The setup SHOULD also allow me to expand (by using mdadm to grow the raid array), although it does take ages every time you expand - but I can live with that ;)
I suppose you could create a new RAID5 array if you've got enough new disks for that and use LVM to expand the volume onto both arrays, then grow the filesystem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom