Stream Remote Desktop to HTPC to HDTV (1 Viewer)

tominator

December 29, 2011
Hi i'm looking for a solution for a the following problem. I'm trying to install an home streaming setup with a hdtv, a streaming pc (htpc with mediaportal) and avr. So far so good, but what if i want to watch youtube videos or write a word document or play a game on my normal main pc and want to stream this to the hdtv. The simple answer is connect the main pc over hdmi to the hdtv, but this would be too simple :) I want to do the activities discribed from my couch where i'm connected only via wlan and dont want to span a hdmi cable through my living room ;)

Is there a solution to stream my desktop with audio and video over the lan to the hdpc? It would be great if this is a high quality like hdmi. Maybe mediaportal got a solution for this? I think a normal remote desktop solution will do this but is there audio transfer integrated? I dont know such a software.

May you can help me. I would be pleased for it.

Greets
Tominator :)

I've read that it should be possible to stream my desktop and audio with vlc but i haven't got it work. Does anyone use this?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi and welcome tominator :)

MP allows you to watch YouTube videos with plugins but there is no plugin that I'm aware of which allows you to write word documents. If you want general "access" to the main PC from anywhere through the WLAN then I suggest RDP (built into Windows) or some flavour of VNC (TightVNC etc.). "Heavy" games would not necessarily run well with such a mechanism, however you could at least try.

mm

perky

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2014
    Home Country
    England England
    Remote Utilities will do it, including audio, but doesn't have video streaming support as such so relatively slow. VNC is going to be glacial ;-)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    solution 1.
    hdmi cable from pc to lounge tv, wireless keybd + mouse in pc room.

solution 2
    remote desktop or team viewer. will work with word, will look bad for games/videos

solution 3.
    hdmi cable from pc to lounge tv
    install a program in your htpc that lets you use your keyboard + mouse on multiple computers, eg. when you mouse hits the edge of one screen it automatically jumps onto the other networked pc. a google search should find the program i forget what it's called.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom