Streaming video (1 Viewer)

dos_box

July 12, 2006
I work as the senior techy for a large education authority in the UK, and have used Media Portal at home for quite some time now. Schools in my area of responsability have a great need, not only for streaming TV, but for streaming video. I'm not sure is the TV Server service can do this with recorded TV, but many schools are now converting lots of old VHS based teaching material to a digital fromat and would like a method of making it available to classrooms in an easy to get at way (via the Media Portal interface). Would it be possible to stream from My Videos and My Recordings in the TV section?.

fussmuff

Portal Member
September 21, 2006
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

whats the Problem?

You only have to put the Video/Recording folder to a network-share and allow access for all clients........

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    You only have to put the Video/Recording folder to a network-share and allow access for all clients........
    exactly what i was about to write :)

on the client you could even create playlists in MyVideos and let the selected Videos play randomly/endless (i.e. for general information displays in a hall).

reagan+carter

Portal Pro
    September 6, 2006
    Nantes, FR
    hello

I think the question was more about streaming (via the RTSP protocol) videos and not just making them available through a Windows share (which is a clunky way of streaming content, especially when you consider the size of a school population).
    I doubt (but I'm maybe completely wrong) that you can, the TV server seems to only stream the content that comes from a TV card. In your situation, VLC, mplayer, real producer and the likes may be good alternatives. MP would only be a simple client reading the streams produced by these softwares.

I think it has already been suggested elsewhere, but in different terms. And the TV server specifications may still be susceptible to change before its official release.

Let's hope Frodo visits this thread and clarifies the situation :)

thachaser

Portal Member
    January 11, 2006
    Zwolle, NL
    why don't you use windows media encoder, or something similair ?

compatible with most of Windows media player versions, easy to setup and can stream dozens of videos the same time. It's nice to use mediaportal, but i think this is not designed and -not- stable enough for this kind of applications.

One thing to consider : do you want a "static" stream, without forward and reverse functions or do you need this ?

This can ofcourse cause a lot of network traffic.

dos_box

July 12, 2006
    Well can't the TV Server "stream" the recorded TV to the clients?

This is one feature I would like to see. The problem in schools is that most teachers are not 'technical' If they can be presented with a nice clear layout with definitive controls (each client PC having a MCE remote perhaps) and with it being uncluttered. No matter which room the teacher is in it would appear the same. It is a type of holy grail I suppose.
    Thanks for your replies so far, its nice to get a quick response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom