Stupid Questions - Winfast TV Card not showing video (1 Viewer)

Enigma_2k4

Portal Member
August 11, 2009
In ur cookies!
Home Country
South Africa South Africa
Hi all,

I am new to Media Portal, but my first hand impressions are EXCELLENT! I am so impressed, I never knew an open source project could be so good! I will certainly be making a donation if I can get my little "niggles" sorted out.

Basically, I think the problem is with me and not the software. However, I cannot makes use of my TV card in media portal, it works fine in the native software in windows but not in Media Portal. I think the challenge might be because it's using a direct component input (yellow RCA plug) and not the normal cable input with channel select. Anyone have any idea's on what I need to check to get it working?

Details:
Media Portal version: Not sure as I'm at work so cannot check off hand, however, it was downloaded 4 days ago so I presume must be the latest version.
CPU: AMD Athlon 3000+
VGA: Nvidia Geforce 6600GT (PCI-X)
TV Card: Leadtek Winfast DVR

The video input comes in the form of a composite connection (RCA cable) directly into the input in the TV card from my satellite top set box. As previously stated it works fine when using the Winfast PVR software that came bundled with it.

Any suggestions and assistance would be greatly appreciated!

:D:D:D:D

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    Hi there and welcome :)

The version is actually quite important.
    The latest stable version is 1.0.2. This version contains 2 TV engines. The old unmaintained inbuilt TV as well as the newer TVServer.
    The latest test version, is 1.1.0 alpha. This version only contains the TVServer.

So if you are on 1.0.2, then the question is which TV engine you use? If not TVServer, I would actually recommend to first try it as it is supporting a much wider range TV cards.

If you are unsure, then you can attach full logs and we should be able to see what you are using. See my signature for more details.

Enigma_2k4

Portal Member
    August 11, 2009
    In ur cookies!
    Home Country
    Hi there and welcome :)

The version is actually quite important.
    The latest stable version is 1.0.2. This version contains 2 TV engines. The old unmaintained inbuilt TV as well as the newer TVServer.
    The latest test version, is 1.1.0 alpha. This version only contains the TVServer.

So if you are on 1.0.2, then the question is which TV engine you use? If not TVServer, I would actually recommend to first try it as it is supporting a much wider range TV cards.

If you are unsure, then you can attach full logs and we should be able to see what you are using. See my signature for more details.

Dankie Rekenaar, it's good to see some South African support on this! I bet the aussies wouldn't help now after the weekends thumping :p

The different versions makes sense now. I honestly can't remember which one I downloaded. Tonight I'll give the TV server a bash and see what results I get from that. If no joy then i'll upload the logs here.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I think it would help if you could give a link to the exact modell you got (there are several called DVR).

My guess is that your card does not have hardware encoding capabilities for analogue material. If so, getting it to work in MP1 used to be a PITA, but I think MisterD's improvements might have made it easier.

Enigma_2k4

Portal Member
    August 11, 2009
    In ur cookies!
    Home Country
    OK, home now and gave it a bash.

I went into TV server and set it all up (the CVBS input from that TV card), I selected "preview" and it gave an error message saying:
    unable to create graph

I tried it in media Portal itself and got the following 2 error messages when starting up:
    unable to start timeshifting
    unable to create graph

OK, here are the logs uploaded.

TV Card is a Winfast DV2000 WDM.
    Media Portal 1.01 Alpha version.

Does that help...? :p

Enigma_2k4

Portal Member
    August 11, 2009
    In ur cookies!
    Home Country
    Please Please Please can someone help? This is infuriating! I've just spent 3 hours browsing the forum and it seems that no-one has any idea what this is caused by or how to fix it?

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I see one that you are saying that you're using component - but you are not if your only using a yellow plug. Then you are using composite.

If this does not help (selection correct input in TV server config):

I guess this is your card: Leadtek - We make dreams a reality
    From what I can get out of the info, this is most probably a software encoding card (as Leadtek tend to say if it is a hardware encoding card). These cards are a real PITA, I'm afraid. Hopefully someone can direct you further, try searching forum.

:sorry:

Enigma_2k4

Portal Member
    August 11, 2009
    In ur cookies!
    Home Country
    I see one that you are saying that you're using component - but you are not if your only using a yellow plug. Then you are using composite.

If this does not help (selection correct input in TV server config):

I guess this is your card: Leadtek - We make dreams a reality
    From what I can get out of the info, this is most probably a software encoding card (as Leadtek tend to say if it is a hardware encoding card). These cards are a real PITA, I'm afraid. Hopefully someone can direct you further, try searching forum.

:sorry:

Yes, my mistake, you are absolutely correct. It is the composite and not component input. LOL. Freudian slip.

So basically, the TV card is too crap? LOL, good excuse for a new one. It delivered a stuttering picture anyway. But even if I do get another card will I not have the same issue with the composite input?

Also, are there any TV cards that have a decent remote that I can use for MP and windows as well? Because I know the TV card bundled with this leadtek TV card is horrid and just plain useless.

Thanks for your help! I do appreciate it!

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    If you can find the Hauppauge PVR150 w/bundles MCE remote, then you should have a great card and remote ;).

EDIT: Oh, and you'll get an IR-blaster to control the STB channel change w/the bundles remote. Another tips is to try using s-video, as it is superior to composite. If your STB can output component, then the Hauppauge HD-PVR might be a good choice, but a) it is very expensive and b) I'm not sure how well it works (stability).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom