Stutter after hibernate/standby since RC2 SVN to RC3 if not DX Exclusive (1 Viewer)

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Starting from 0.2.3.0 RC2 SVN (don't know which one) I get stutter in TV (internal TV engine) after coming back from hibernate. This didn't happen with RC2, only after applying SVN and the problem persists in RC3. The problem only happens if I don't use DirectX Exclusive mode, with exclusive mode playback is fine after hibernate. But then I can't access anything else because Media Portal sits always on top of everything else.

I tried upgrading to Catalyst 7.10, but same thing. Then wen't back to 7.4 because I don't want to add a new variable to the mix, and I've extensively tested 7.4 already. Something related to DirectX must have been changed that triggers this behavior.

When I resume from hbernate and go to my TV, if I enable the frame rate indicator, it shows that a lot of frames are being dropped. Instead of the 50 fps that I should be getting with Bob deinterlacing, I'm getting less than 23 fps. Closing and reopening Media Portal is enough to get the normal frame rate. I'll post logs later.

TV-Server Version:
    MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3.0 RC3
    MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo Wide
    Windows Version: Windows XP Pro SP2
    CPU Type: AMD XP 2500+
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 320 GB 7200 rpm 8 MB cache
    Memory: 512 MB DDR333 (2x256 MB Dual Channel)
    Motherboard: Shuttle SN41G2V3
    Motherboard Chipset: nForce 2 MCP
    Motherboard Bios:
    Video Card: Sapphire Atlantis ATI Radeon 9600 (passively cooled)
    Video Card Driver: Catalyst 7.4
    Sound Card: built-in
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver: Audio driver 4.42 (WHQL)
    1. TV Card: Pinnacle PCTV Dual DVB-T Pro PCI
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
    1. TV Card Driver: 3.2.4.0
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: MPV
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow beta2a_20070322
    Satelite/CableTV Provider:
    HTPC Case: Shuttle SN41G2V3
    Cooling:
    Power Supply: Shuttle 250W
    Remote: iMON Knob
    TV: Samsung LE37 (TFT 1080p)
    TV - HTPC Connection: DVI

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Here they are. This is whay I did:

1. Start Media Portal,
    2. Go to My TV,
    3. Press "!" to see frame rate, it was steady at 50 fps with occasional drop to 49 fps,
    4. Go back to Home and Hibernate using the power button on the BlueTwo skin and selecting Hibernate,
    5. Power on PC,
    6. Go to My TV,
    7. This time frame rate was 22fps and there were dropped frames and jitter.

I didn't enable Time shift.

If I do this test with VRM 9 Exclusive mode, I won't stutter. Also RC2 and earlier versions do not have this problem. I started seeing it with RC2 SVN. Closing Media Portal and reopening it also fixes the problem.

I'm currently using PVR Scheduler as a work around, because it closes Media Portal before hibernation.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    is there a reason why you dissable the exclusive mode?

if all works fine when enabled, why not keeping it enabled :confused:

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Yes, I have several reasons to keep it disabled:

1. The OSD of my iMon remote doesn't work if Media Portal uses exclusive mode. I loose visual feedback of some actions that are not apparent (like changing from mouse to cursor mode).
    2. I can't bring on the Windows Menu or any other program in exclusive mode. I could work around this by going to windowed mode first, but I can't do that with my remote (not without some work around).

It's not that much of a problem. I loose the OSD of my remote and some convenienve when using other programs along with Media Portal (like Virtual Dub, to compress recordings). But it's something that with RC2 was working, and then after some later SVN it wasn't, so it should be difficult to trace what was changed and revert it, unless that fixed something else more important of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom