Stuttering MKV/x264 playback with GF8600GT (1 Viewer)

phertiker

Portal Member
June 29, 2005
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
definitely try a fast software-decode-only codec like CoreAVC or FFDSHOW's h/x.264 decoder.

incidentally, i used to preach the magic of CoreAVC exclusively, but for whatever reason tried a recent build of FFDSHOW's h.264 and it runs just as well as CoreAVC! Super cool. One less codec to install.

Also, I always thought that Nvidia's PureVideo h.264 acceleration had nothing to do with installing the Purevideo software package. My understanding is that it's hardware/driver support, and then use a supported h.264 codec like powerdvd or windvd or whatever. Purevideo is still an mpeg2 codec only, right?

SweMart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 25, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    definitely try a fast software-decode-only codec like CoreAVC or FFDSHOW's h/x.264 decoder.

incidentally, i used to preach the magic of CoreAVC exclusively, but for whatever reason tried a recent build of FFDSHOW's h.264 and it runs just as well as CoreAVC! Super cool. One less codec to install.

Also, I always thought that Nvidia's PureVideo h.264 acceleration had nothing to do with installing the Purevideo software package. My understanding is that it's hardware/driver support, and then use a supported h.264 codec like powerdvd or windvd or whatever. Purevideo is still an mpeg2 codec only, right?

"Purevideo h.264" = Purevideo HD.

Purevideo HD is currently only implemented as a codec by 3rd parties, such as Cyberlink(in PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra using Vista).

JackTramiel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 22, 2006
    Recklinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hardware acceleration of mkv h264 doesn't work properly with total bitstream offload cards (8500/8600, and ATI 2400/2600). It's some sort of timing error, and results in the frame rate dropping to 19/20fps. It only happens with mkv h264 and these cards - the same video muxxed into another container works fine.

Incidentally, when you have hardware acceleration working with these types of cards, cpu will be 2% or lower.

Can someone confirm this? Could be the problem i got.

EDIT: Just wanted to quote: the same video muxxed into another container works fine.

So i just need to mux them into another container. That is not a big problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom