Stuttering TV with MP2 (1 Viewer)

oldharry

November 24, 2015
Home Country
England England
I have used Windows Media Player across my home network for many years. Essentially there were two PC's, one in my office which held the TV tuners and a large hard disk for the recordings. This PC was then hard wired to another one acting as an HTPC in the lounge using a Linksys 4x 1Gbit port router/modem in the office for internet access, and a second Linksys 4x 1Gbit router configured as a switch and wireless access point on the other end of a long Cat5e cable connecting lounge and office. This is a largish property with solid walls and poor wireless communication between the two floors. This configuration worked well with both SD and HD programmes under windows 7.

Having now migrated to Windows 10, I have been forced to change my media software and so have installed MP2. The system specs for all the computers on my network are included. MP2 functions normally on my office PC where there is a single seat server/client configuration. I can record programmes and play them on that computer without any problems. After installing MP2 client on the HTPC I can access recordings on the hard disk of the office computer but they play with an unacceptable stutter.

Initially I suspected the network might be causing this but I can run live TV from the server through the HTPC to the TV screen without any noticeable stuttering in both SD and HD formats. Some old WMC recordings will also play through the MP2 client without stuttering. Furthermore I can run the stuttering recordings through MP2 client on an All In One PC, also located in the lounge without any problems. This PC also utilises a wireless link to the switch/wireless access point in the same room. These findings strongly suggest that the network is not causing any problems.

I therefore focussed on the HTPC and upgraded the processor, memory and video card to the levels indicated in the spec without gaining any improvement. There is a functioning TV card with 2 tuners on it in the HTPC, so I reinstalled MP2 as a single seat server/client configuration there. This works, but produces stuttering images of recording held locally on the TV when used in this mode. Live TV is fine. Again, I can play a recording from the HTPC (which stutters) on the office computer without any stutter.

The HTPC connects to the internet and downloaded TV from catch up sites works without any problems either. I am left with the conclusion that MP2 client needs more resources than the current HTPC configuration can provide, although it is not exactly an old underpowered machine. Before contemplating changing the motherboard, I would very much appreciate the comments of anyone else who is using a similar configuration.

Many thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom