Subtitles charset displaying problem (1 Viewer)

eXces

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 21, 2008
    Verona, Italy
    Home Country
    Moldova Moldova
    Hi.
    Using Vista x86, MP 1.0, mediaportal internal video player(with mpc video decoder for x.264)

When i am playing .mkv files with internal subtitles (in Romanian) i get a problem displaying special characters...
    Tried to change Charset encoding in mediaportal settings->Videos->Subtitles->Display font(browse)->Script...but there seems to be only one option Central European. I need EastEurope charset (like in ffdshow configuration for subtitles) to display correctly Romanian language.
    How can i do this?
    Thx.

P.S. Using MPC-HC a got no problem. Even extracting(with MKVextractGUI) and opening the .srt files with notepad it displays correctly all characters...
    Regional settings in vista for displaying non Unicode progs is set to Romanian.

eXces

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 21, 2008
    Verona, Italy
    Home Country
    Moldova Moldova
    Found a way to solve the problem...but its a bit timeconsuming. Extracting subtitles from mkv using MKVextractGUI, then using a program to remove diacritics and then remuxing back subtitles to mkv using MKVmergeGui....
    It would be very nice to have an option (like in ffdshow subtitles settings) to change charset of displayed subtitles...

claus14

Portal Member
    October 1, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi eXces,

I have the same problem with the romanian diacritics (specific romanian characters - "s" and "t" have a little comma underneath). What I do with my "srt" and "sub" files is I open them in Notepad and replace those characters with "s" and "t". Of course this is time consuming, but this could be the solution, at least for now. Anyway, have you changed the default language in Vista to Romanian ? Maybe it will help. I use XP, so I don't know about Vista. I remember that before I started to test MediaPortal, I used BS Player to play movies. If you tested in BS Player, there's the same problem when you have romanian subtitles for a movie. If you go to BS player's preferences, you can select Central European script, and this will solve the problem, for BS player, of course. Not for MediaPortal.
    So, maybe somebody that knows about this issue will come with a real solution. I'm interested in it.

eXces

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 21, 2008
    Verona, Italy
    Home Country
    Moldova Moldova
    Hi Claus,
    First you can use this program(called AutoCorect) to remove diacritics from any srt or sub file
    link Software Set (site is in romanian, dar cred ca intelegi romana ;) You can remove diacritics in seconds just making some clicks.
    Second i have done everything ....and i mean everything to resolve this issue but...
    I have no problems in other players to display characters as they should...but in MP lacks easteuropean charset option(its only central european).
    Another option is to use external player which can correctly display subtitle language.
    Bye.

claus14

Portal Member
    October 1, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi eXces,

Thank you for the website. It looks really interesting. I'll test it. Inteleg romaneste, no problem. Asa cum ai zis si tu, daca nu merge altfel, trebuie un player extern integrat in MP. Poate doar asa s-o putea rezolva. Multumesc pentru link.
    A question for MP developers: is it possible to implement an external player, (BS player for example) into MediaPortal, so an user can have more control over subtitles ? Again, romanian subtitles are shown funny in MediaPortal, if they use diacritics. I'll post a photo, it's easier to understand.

Attachments

• Arabela.JPG
      Arabela.JPG
      50 KB

gig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 24, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Unfortunately MP 1.0 doesn't respect charstet setting in DirectVobSub filter, instate it looks for the system default charset for non Unicode programs

in order to fix your problem go to Control Panel > Regional and Language Options and set the desired language on the Advanced tab.

Restart your system and there you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom