Suddently high CPU load with Mediaportal after some minutes playing video (1 Viewer)

applebee1

Portal Member
October 25, 2007
Hi,

I have a strange problem which never occured in 8 years usage of Mediaportal...

I haven't touched changed the configuration for month and I am on version 1.8 pre.
PC runs normally but after starting MP and watching video - the CPU load increases from 8-12 % in the first minutes of watching video towards 100% with a complete freeze of the PC. When I am able to shut down MP (often not possible due to complete freeze) the CPU load is normal and PC is working again.

I am on Win 10, 760 GTX Geforce and LAV with HW acceleration on.

My feeling is that this problem could be caused by a defective graphic card.
Could this realy explain the sudden rise in CPU load over time - again not in the first 2-5 minutes - and make the PC freeze? (CPU max temp 72C/160F, GPU max 58C/136 F) ).
Strange enough - when playing video in VLC - everything runs for hours, and MP was running for years with the same HW configuration.
Without video running in MP - there is no freeze with PC.

Is there any other possibility with HW oder SW? - other ideas?

Thanks for any hint

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Try running MP in windowed mode so you can run task manager alongside it. Check what process is creating all the CPU load - it might not be MP.

Last edited:

applebee1

Portal Member
    October 25, 2007
    Hi Owlsroost,

It is MP - starting from 8-12% and after some minutes going steadily to 100% (and staying there) and freezing the PC. When I am able to shut down MP via task manager PC runs normal without problems.

I am investigating and did roll backed from a windows system backup 3 weeks ago:

Still a freeze - sometimes even when showing the home screen without playing video.
    What I did lately was disabling all plug ins - now it is running since 40 min. without problems.

I will investigate if that could be the reason and then what plug-in caused this high CPU all of a sudden until freezing PC (even grahpic card stress test didn't freeze the PC).

Thanks...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You might save yourself some time if you could attach full log files collected by the Watchdog tool. ;)

applebee1

Portal Member
    October 25, 2007
    Problem solved - if anyone has a similar problem - 100% CPU and PC freeze was caused by a plug-in (strange enough).

Still have to find our which one - but after disabling all plug ins - CPU stays below 15% and stayes there.
    I will enable now one by one an see what is the root cause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom