Suggested TV card... Advice please (1 Viewer)

Cheeze439

Portal Member
December 19, 2005
Can someone give me some advice? I am after a TV card that is compatible with media portal.

It MUST be an external card as it is going on to my laptop (which is running mp at the mo). Ideally one with freeview/digital channels. If it has PVR hardware then even better but if not it's not vital... I'll just use a software pvr. Remote is not necesary as I have an MCE remote.

Thanks

Cheeze439

Portal Member
December 19, 2005
Basically I want to be able to watch TV including the free digital channels though my laptop. I want to be able to schedule and record tv shows through media portal. What external card/device can I use to be able to acheive this.

Elf

Portal Pro
June 8, 2005
UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Cheeze mentions "Freeview" - I think that's the giveaway here, "Freeview" is a free-to-air DVB-T service in the UK. That'll be a DVB-T card you're after then. Sorry I can't recommend one, don't have much experience except with mine, which is an internal (and pants anyway!)

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Oh well didnt know that, I just assume he meant public tv (non-paying, freeview). Filling out the location in his profile may have helped.

There are many manfacturers making exactly what you want. Hauppauge and Dvico come to mind first. Both make USB2 DVB-T tuners. Youll still need an antenna though.

Cheeze439

Portal Member
    December 19, 2005
    Yes sorry I am in the UK. Freeview is what we use when we refer to "free to receive" digital channels, as well as terestrial. It doesn't matter that I need an antenae, the laptop is in a permanent position next to my tv. I've seen the hauppage "WinTV-NOVA-s usb", anyone have any experience with it?

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    If you use terrestrial, that cable card wont work. Something like the WinTV-NOVA-T usb would. Dvico also make a USB2 unit as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom