Suggestion for USB/PCI-E DVB-C tuner? (1 Viewer)

somy

Portal Pro
March 7, 2010
Denmark
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi,
I current use TerraTec Cinergy C PCI HD CI, it is based on the legacy PCI interface which is not supported by modern mini-ITX motherboard. I'm considering to upgrade it to a USB/PCI-E based if possible. If USB based is possible, I'll go with Intel NUC i3, otherwise I need to build a small ITX PC with the TV card.
Any suggestion?

mnmr

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I just completed a setup of MP 1.6 with a HDHomeRun-4DC and had no problems at all getting it to work (on the i5 NUC). It is connected over the network and also has a built-in DLNA server, which allows iOS devices to stream directly from it.

somy

Portal Pro
    March 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I just completed a setup of MP 1.6 with a HDHomeRun-4DC and had no problems at all getting it to work (on the i5 NUC). It is connected over the network and also has a built-in DLNA server, which allows iOS devices to stream directly from it.
    Hi, this looks like an interesting product.
    Does it support MP or XBMC frontend?

mnmr

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    XBMC needs a PVR backend, such as MP or TvHeadend, as it doesn't work directly with tuners. To bypass the HTPC and use the tuner directly you need a media player with DLNA support.

somy

Portal Pro
    March 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    XBMC needs a PVR backend, such as MP or TvHeadend, as it doesn't work directly with tuners. To bypass the HTPC and use the tuner directly you need a media player with DLNA support.

Ok, thanks! I guess I'm too old school.
    I google this box around, and it seems that the box convert DVB-C signal to streaming over network, so it is no longer a tuner anymore. How can MP use it as a tuner and do scheduled recording?

mnmr

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    MP supports the tuner, so if it's on the same network as the TvServer it just shows up like any old USB tuner would..

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just keep in mind it doesn't have a CI slot. I assumed from the fact that you have a Cinergy C CI now that you needed a USB tuner with CI. If not then the HDHR would be fine. :)

johnzered

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Finland Finland

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom