Suggestion: Include 60hz choices in Dynamic Refresh Rate list (1 Viewer)

Pat Clark

Portal Pro
April 25, 2012
Wisconsin
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Since most people using MP are likely to have monitors or TV's capable of Dynamic Refresh Rate changing,
and since many are from 60hz lands,
and since DRR is superior to Fixed Refresh Rate,
and since extending the list has no adverse effects on PAL users:

the list of possibilities provided at install should be extended to accommodate 60hz users, as explained in this thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ering-play-back-plus-an-upscale-guide.108286/ so that merely enabling DRR is sufficient.

An expert (no insult intended to the OP) should review the choices the OP has made, and whether the "default" setting is critical. I find a significant improvement after using the revisions he suggested.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    A few assumptions ;) First i think that more EU people (25Hz TV Systems) use MP than USA people (29.97Hz TV Systems).
    2nd is that 60Hz isn't a video refresh rate but a desktop refresh rate, so i can't see any good reason why 60Hz should be added, since you always have to switch away from that. If you're in the USA (which you are) i would suggest to set 59Hz as default refresh rate. The difference between 59 & 60Hz isn't noticeable.
    NTSC doesn't run @ 30Hz, but @ 29.97Hz, which (if you multiply that by 2) is 59.94. When you set the refresh rate of an ATi or Nvidia Card to 59Hz, it will do 59,94FPS.

Looks like the refresh rate tables are taken from the Wiki, but before they were updated.
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/Troubleshooting/Stuttering_Playback

Pat Clark

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Home Country
    You are no doubt correct that most MP users at 25/50 -- but there's no reason not to include all common situations as long as they don't interfere with one another.

I believe you are incorrect about no need for 60hz refresh rate -- ATSC is often 30/60 but one network is 60/60 and there are several other possible combinations, and a progressive scan disc player (most common, I believe) is 60/60. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_standard

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I also see no reason why it should not be added.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Did some more research (Wikipedia) and talked to a US team member. It seems that ATSC supports a range of Input resolution and frame rates. The big question is what the broadcaster outputs. But if you're saying that some broadcasters work with the 30/60 FPS, then those refresh rates should indeed be added to the list.

For now you can manually add them as (for example):
    Name: ATSC || Frame rate(s): 30 || Refresh rate: 60
    Name: ATSCHD || Frame rate(s) 60 || Refresh rate 60

Pat Clark

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Home Country
    The manual adding of such rates is one of the primary thrusts of the thread referenced above.

Also, some not-quite-so-modern monitors and TVs could handle some but not all of any list that could be developed, so modification of the list will still be desirable for some users. But I believe truly modern devices (last few years) can handle any of them.

As I implied in the original post, there is a side issue that arises. In order to allow a mere selection of DRR to be made with the current software, the default must also be specified. It seems possible to me that a comprehensive list would negate the need for a default.[DOUBLEPOST=1345331378][/DOUBLEPOST]I don't know what happens when DRR is off. I assume MP makes no attempt to change device's current setting, and will resample (is that what it's called?) the input to match whatever DirectX (or ?) says is in effect.

If so, would this be a problem if the device's setup were changed by some other computer or some other software? If so, would that account for some of the excessive posts here about stuttering, shuddering, or whatever?

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    A default would always be needed, because the refresh rate doesn't change after the playback has stopped. So when you've just watched a Blu-ray (for example) and stop playback, the refreshrate would still be @ 23 or 24Hz, which makes navigating the GUI really sluggish.

When DRR is off, the file is being played back with the right FPS, but if there is a mismatch between the video file and the monitor refresh rate, that would (probably) result in stuttering playback (and/or motion interpolation).

MediaPortal uses what the user inputs. So if some other computer or software changes a refresh rate setting (and a default setting on startup of MediaPortal is not set) that could indeed result in bad video playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom