Suggestions for a Good Video Card for Sony KDF-50WE655 (1 Viewer)

T

topheim

I am trying to use a ATI AIW 2006 Edition card to connect to a Sony 50" HDTV. The picture is not very clear.

What suggestions are there for a better video card?

Are there some settings that I can change to help the problem?

Thanks!

LastMar

Portal Pro
November 17, 2004
Matrox cards are supposed to be good for this sort of thing, but maybe it isn't the card that's the problem? I bet your cabling is to blame.

T

topheim

Any more advice?

Thanks! I will look into a Maxtor brand card.

So you feel that my S-video cable could be an issue? What about adding a HDTV adaptor to my ATI AIW? Would that help?

LastMar

Portal Pro
November 17, 2004
Re: Any more advice?

topheim said:
Thanks! I will look into a Maxtor brand card.

So you feel that my S-video cable could be an issue? What about adding a HDTV adaptor to my ATI AIW? Would that help?

Not Maxtor, Matrox. They are two different things. Maxtor makes crappy hard drives, whereas Matrox makes video cards that are not well-known for their 3d gaming prowess, but are famously good for 2d. Having never used one, I only offer the name as a starting point, not as a recommendation.

S-video does not support the higher resolutions that HDTV affords you. The exact cabling you can use depends on what your TV has. At the very least, you can use component cables to transmit a true HDTV signal. If you're lucky, You can use DVI or VGA for a very easy connection, or HDMI. To use HDMI, you'll have to get an adaptor that goes from DVI to HDMI, and connect the audo separately. SCART is also an option, but it is not common in the United States.

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Don't got for a Matrox card if you wanna use Media Portal with it. Media Portal is a DirectX 9 application and uses die Direct3D part, which is very poorly supported by Matrox. You won't be happy when using it with such kind of applications.

I'd always go for a decent nVidia card, other ATI fans would tell you, go for a good ATI card, but as I experienced some weird problems with ATI (their drivers are mostly to blame), which do not happen with nVidia, I wouldn't buy one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom