Surround-receiver-like functionality (1 Viewer)

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
Khris said:
knutinh said:
I think that you are repeating the mantra without going into a discussion :)

I have heard multi-channel ambisonic in university, and I do believe that it is the futurue.

-k

There isn't much of a discussion available......your average joe home user who goes to buy a home theatre system, really won't be able to tell the difference between a 5.1 system and a 6.1 or 7.1 system besides the amount they had to spend.
But then I am not talking about the business opportunities of 7.1, or if the general market needs/wants it, I am talking on my own behalf :)

For audophiles who want to spend the amount of money required to have a proper 7.1 system in their home (preamp, individual channel amps, matched speakers, etc), if that's what turns their crank than so be it....but generally speaking, in the home, a 5.1 system is more then enough.
I cant see that the need for individual pre-amp/power-amp or matched speakers is any higher for 7.1 vs 5.1. In other words, as long as inexpensive, all-in-one systems has the 7.1 capability, there is no technical reason not to go for it other than the extra cost of 2 medium bandwidth speakers and the interior looks =)

To each their own however, and if having a 6.1 or 7.1 system gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling, then go for it! :)
But then, MediaPortal, watching movies and listening to music is all about that warm, fuzzy feeling ;-)

-k

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
knutinh said:
I cant see that the need for individual pre-amp/power-amp or matched speakers is any higher for 7.1 vs 5.1. In other words, as long as inexpensive, all-in-one systems has the 7.1 capability, there is no technical reason not to go for it other than the extra cost of 2 medium bandwidth speakers and the interior looks =)

Ask any audiophile and the first thing they'll tell you is the importance of using individual power amps instead of an all-in-one receiver.

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
Well, yeah, but then audiophiles are generally crazy people =)

Much as there is no reason to split the cd-player into a cd-unit and a D/A unit, or to listen to music only at night (when the power grid is "clean"), audiophiles will do just about any imaginable or non-imaginable thing.

I try to keep myself to differences that can either be measured, heard in a double-blind test or at least analyzed to have any significance.

regards
Knut

MrSensitive

Portal Pro
May 18, 2004
Belgium
Ask Any audiophile and the first thing thay tell you is that 5.1 sucks big time..
they still only want stereo.
and yes, bi-amped, monoblocks on spiffy spikes and all other stuff.

5.1 is a format that compresses sound, 6.1 is derived from 5.1, 7.1 is derived from 5.1.
this means that the extra 1 or 2 extra channels are interpolated from all other available channels..

I worked for one and a half years to try to replace my receiver, I FAILED...
(and I consider myself to be quite technical)
too many different soudcards available, no decent SDK's, insufficient inputs, outputs.. horrible delay's etc etc..no decent way to suppress power on-off thumbs. and believe me, You only forget to turn of your AMP once..
the thump is maximum output on your soundcard wich means maximum output (or even clipping) on your speakers, baby started crying, wife yelling at me...

i threw away the idea, and got me a Marantz receiver (with COMport, so that I can control it using RS232... still some hopes to use one pocketpc remote for all)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom