SVN builds (1 Viewer)

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    I know that 1.3.0 Alpha has just been released (and it seems to be a doozy :D), but didn't I read somewhere that we'd be going back to releasing the SVN type builds once we'd moved to the GitHub?
    Is this still the plan or are we going with full builds?

Also - if the development is in GitHub, how come the download for 1.3.0 Alpha was on SourceForge?

Not moaning, just curious...

Last edited:

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I know that 1.3.0 Alpha has just been released (and it seems to be a doozy :D), but didn't I read somewhere that we'd be going back to releasing the SVN type builds once we'd moved to the GitHub?
    Is this still the plan or are we going with full builds?

I think that is going on in Area51.

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Not sure what Git calls what would have been SVN builds - early test builds is what I mean, like back in the old days :)
    As above though, if we've gone GIt why is the 1.3.0 Alpha build dl on sourceforge?

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    we use Github for development but still Sourceforge for releases. Both have their pro's and con's and so we use best of both worlds ;)

svn (subversion)-builds would be git builds now but due to our changed way of development it wouldn't be of much use to throw them out automatically. Features/Bugs are handled in branches now which means there is not one svn-repository anymore but many different ones and just before releasing those are merged into a master-branch. This allows to develop independently on features without breaking anything or holding back a release.
    Area51 contains those compiled branches if the coder(s) think(s) they are worth testing.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    We aren't completely ignoring a possibility for having some GIT based test builds (well, whole Area 51 is based on such but on feature basis). It could be possible that in some day Area 51 could see some test build based directly on the master branch in the GIT. 1.3.0 didn't see any of those as all features were completed so late in the development cycle, but it could happen that some future version has x number of features ready in the beginning of the development cycle and then it could be a good idea to release such test build.

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Whilst roaming round Area 51 I noticed that there are some interesting bits and wondered if they would ever roll in to "Git Builds", that was the main prompt for the post.
    It looks like this may indeed be a possibility - and one I shall look forward to :)

Thanks for the clarification of the SF download too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom