Swedish users - what are my options watching TV with MP in the future? (1 Viewer)

pnyberg

Portal Pro
August 21, 2006
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hello my fellow Swedes, I´ve been using MP since 2006 and I am loving it.
So is my wife (eventually...).

I've been using DVB-T all the time using Boxer (obviously), using FireDTV and a Philips SAA7134.
But since Boxer(Teracom) is in the process of shifting to DVB-T2 and also to CI+ as far as I understand, there is currently no DVB-T2 cards out there with support for CI+ cards? I believe they are always "paired" with the box/TV...
It seems currently DVB-T2 in Sweden is a dead end, unless som PC-card maker gets a "blessing" from the providers...

So if I want to continue using MP in the future are these my only options?
1. DVB-S2 from Canal +
2. DVB-S2 from Viasat
3. DVB-C from Comhem (not possible where I live)

If anybody could give me a hint on option 1 and 2 above what is best considering only technical issues with CAMs and pairings, not TV channels, I would be most grateful...

If I would have to use a normal STB for watching TV - my HTPC era is probably over...

thanks in advance.

Regards

pnyberg

Portal Pro
August 21, 2006
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Getting a DVB-T2 tuner is not the problem. Getting a CAM that supports CI+ is not possible

Yes, that is what I have found out as well.
Anybody with opinion on my future options for watching TV in MP?

Thanks in advance..

J-B-N

Portal Pro
December 29, 2005
Sweden
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I have also been using Boxer since I moved to my house and been using MP since 2005 and it works excellently. But you are correct, less and less channels are working and in the long run it seems Boxer and DVB-T2 is not viabale. Right now I seem to have "lost" Animalplanet (not that that matters much but it is annoying not to be able to see the channels I pay for).

My kid brother moved from a Comhem appartment to a house and tried Boxer but gave it up and bought a DVB-S2 solution from Canal+.

Settop boxes - are that something worth exploring? Ie using a STB instead of a tuner...

pnyberg

Portal Pro
August 21, 2006
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Right now I seem to have "lost" Animalplanet (not that that matters much but it is annoying not to be able to see the channels I pay for).

My kid brother moved from a Comhem appartment to a house and tried Boxer but gave it up and bought a DVB-S2 solution from Canal+.

Settop boxes - are that something worth exploring? Ie using a STB instead of a tuner...

Regarding the Animal Planet on Boxer - you need a new CAM from Boxer... The one I hade previously was not MPEG4 certified my new one is (bought from Netonet) and Animal Planet now works w/o problem, but unfortunately the new CAM I have does not support multiple decoding, which my old did... It is possible to buy a very expensive CAM that supports decoding multiple channels (on the same TP of course) but it is the same price as buying a STB more or less...

The DVB-S2 from Canal+ you say... And he is using MP with it? Working well?
Is it possible just to buy a dish and DVB-S2 tuner, no pairing problem?
I'm just want to get some information on what to buy if I would choose to go the DVB-S2 route... And if it will be worth it..
Thanks

tompa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 3, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hej!

Interesting topic!
    But since Boxer(Teracom) is in the process of shifting to DVB-T2 and also to CI+ as far as I understand, there is currently no DVB-T2 cards out there with support for CI+ cards? I believe they are always "paired" with the box/TV...
    It seems currently DVB-T2 in Sweden is a dead end, unless som PC-card maker gets a "blessing" from the providers...

Will they move everything to DVB-T2 really, is there any information out there about this, and until when will this be done do you think?

...and what will C+ and Viasat do in the future:eek:

/tompa

Last edited:

J-B-N

Portal Pro
    December 29, 2005
    Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Regarding the Animal Planet on Boxer - you need a new CAM from Boxer... The one I hade previously was not MPEG4 certified my new one is (bought from Netonet) and Animal Planet now works w/o problem, but unfortunately the new CAM I have does not support multiple decoding, which my old did... It is possible to buy a very expensive CAM that supports decoding multiple channels (on the same TP of course) but it is the same price as buying a STB more or less...
    Well, I have an old CAM attached to my FireDTV.

The DVB-S2 from Canal+ you say... And he is using MP with it? Working well?
    Is it possible just to buy a dish and DVB-S2 tuner, no pairing problem?
    I'm just want to get some information on what to buy if I would choose to go the DVB-S2 route... And if it will be worth it..
    Thanks

Well, he is using Mediacenter (I have never managed to convince him to change). One of the reasons he opted for Canal+ is that they don't pair... His plan is to have a quad LNB and two STBs (for theTVs not close to the HTPC) and two for the HTPC. He just got all the stuff so I guess it will take him a few more days before everything works as he plans.

If his plan works as expected I might also swap to a similar solution, but with a TV-server in the basment and a good client close to the tv (those clients seems problematic though. I tried an Acer Aspire Revo L70, quiet and worked with MPs tv-server but stuttered while showing streaming online content (from headweb) so I returned it)

pnyberg

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hej!

Interesting topic!

Will they move everything to DVB-T2 really, is there any information out there about this, and until when will this be done do you think?

...and what will C+ and Viasat do in the future:eek:

/tompa

Well, when it will happen is a matter of time of course, currently it is only the HDTV channels that is broadcasted in DVB-T2, and all except SVT is encrypted with CI+ (even TV4 HD!!!). I would say Teracom/Boxer has a bit of explaining to do for the viewers if they want to shift too soon. First they have forced all viewers to buy a STB/TV with DVB-T and MPEG2 support in order to get rid of Analog broadcasting, then they marketed the DVB-T and MPEG4 STB/TVs, and now they need all people to change again to a DVB-T2 STB/TV with CI+ support... So I expect they will not push it too fast... But I'm fairly certain that they will move all channels to DVB-T2 eventually, because it is more efficient for broadcasting.

So if you want to see HDTV in Sweden you will need DVB-S2 or DVB-C(2) I suppose...
    So I wiould like information about DVB-S2 - is there no problem using this in MP in Sweden, or is there also some "gotchas"? (Pairing issues, specials CAMs...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom