Switching from WMC to MP1 (Hauppauge HVR-1290) (1 Viewer)

onepoorguy

Portal Member
August 27, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have installed Media Portal and am trying to set it up. The instructions are a bit confusing as, frankly, I don't know what several of the acronyms mean. I've been using WMC for my TV for years and this is my first foray into something like this.

As near as I can tell the software does see my card, which is good! In the TV server configuration window it is showing four options (which is puzzling to me). One is "Radio Webstream", which I don't care about (not interested in radio here). Then is DVB-IP (Media Portal IPTV source filter). No idea what that is. Then is Analog Hauppauge Win TV 885 Tuner. And then priority 1 is ATSC Hauppauge Win TV 995 BDA Tuner. When I scan for channels on the last one it goes through over 60 channels and comes back with nothing. When I scan on priority 2 (analog) it says I need to install a supported audio/video encoder for my software analog card.

And here I'm stuck. The instructions I have found thus far don't seem to cover any of this. I will keep reading, but was hoping someone could get me going in the right direction.

Thanks![DOUBLEPOST=1440647882][/DOUBLEPOST]Oops...that last one is 885 BDA Tuner. So much for proofreading!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome :)

Then is DVB-IP (Media Portal IPTV source filter). No idea what that is.
    It's for IPTV. In other words: TV from your internet service provider. My guess is this is probably not relevant for you.

When I scan for channels on the last one it goes through over 60 channels and comes back with nothing. When I scan on priority 2 (analog) it says I need to install a supported audio/video encoder for my software analog card.
    Okay.

When you scan for channels with the "ATSC Hauppauge Win TV 885 BDA Tuner", which tuning mode did you select?

...bearing in mind that the wiki (ie. "the manual") tells you which options to select, and why:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ration/02_TV_Servers/7b_Scan_ATSC#Tuning_mode

And here I'm stuck. The instructions I have found thus far don't seem to cover any of this. I will keep reading, but was hoping someone could get me going in the right direction.
    Well, I can't really help you unless you can tell me how you get your TV.

Is your tuner connected to an aerial (ie. ATSC digital over-the-air)?
    ...or is your tuner connected to a feed from your cable provider?

onepoorguy

Portal Member
    August 27, 2015
    Home Country
    Such fast replies! I have Century Link Prism. I run the signal from my set-top box to the computer tuner card using the SVIDEO and R/L audio patch cords.

I did see the tuning mode section, but am not entirely certain which of the last two is mine. I'm thinking Clear QAM since I don't believe mine is a "CableCARD Tuner". Though I could be wrong. I am not OTA.

Really there is only ONE channel coming in. All tuning is done by the STB. Using WMC it just came up and I don't remember ever worrying about any of this, so I'm a total noob here.

Thanks for responding!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for responding!
    No problem, that's what we're here for. :)

I run the signal from my set-top box to the computer tuner card using the SVIDEO and R/L audio patch cords.
    Really there is only ONE channel coming in. All tuning is done by the STB.
    Ahhh, okay. This means you should be using the analog tuner ("Analog Hauppauge Win TV 885 Tuner").

To get around the message you previous encountered (about installing an encoder), the quickest solution is probably to install the package from here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...oder-based-tv-cards.90355/page-8#post-1052944

Note: you have a Hauppauge tuner. Normally I'd be recommending to ensure you had Hauppauge's "SoftMCE" package installed, as it is meant to supply the encoders you need. However, a few people have reported that MediaPortal is not currently recognising the encoders that the latest versions supply. Hence the recommendation for the alternative package. I say this just as a "by the way...", in case you're nervous about installing things that you're not familiar with. You'll have to trust me on this. It really is going to be simplest if you can just install the above-linked package.

After installing the package please reboot the PC.

Then, the question will be: do you have a blaster connected from the PC to the set top box (to enable the PC to tell the set top box to change channels)?

onepoorguy

Portal Member
    August 27, 2015
    Home Country
    I will get that package you linked.

The computer is capable of remote control of the STB using an infrared doo-dad. I had it set up when I had DirecTV, but I never bothered with it after getting PRISM. The PRISM remote works just as well and is nearly as convenient.

After I get the package I will attempt the "scan for channels" again and report back.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    No, you should not scan for channels. That won't get you anything. Another question before I can advise what you should do...

Are you expecting to see the guide in MediaPortal filled with all the program information for all your channels?
    ...or are you literally just wanting to feed in the set top box input and view it?

onepoorguy

Portal Member
    August 27, 2015
    Home Country
    OK...the thread you linked is confusing. Should I put the "package" in the directory mentioned by one poster, or should I run the config utility I see in the top-level directory?[DOUBLEPOST=1440656329][/DOUBLEPOST]I had planned just to feed in the STB and view it. Seems adding all that other stuff is just unnecessary complication. It already has its own guide, its own DVR, etc. I don't really see any advantage to transferring those functions to MP.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Please hold for a moment. I'll give you precise instructions. Just have to download it myself. Instructions coming in 10 minutes... :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I had planned just to feed in the STB and view it. Seems adding all that other stuff is just unnecessary complication. It already has its own guide, its own DVR, etc. I don't really see any advantage to transferring those functions to MP.
    Well, that makes things a lot easier. :)

Here are the instructions:
    1. Download the zip file.
    2. Extract the contents to a folder anywhere on your computer.
    3. Right click on Configuration.exe (which should be in the top level of the extracted content), and select "run as admin".
    4. Choose which encoder(s) to install. "MainConcept" are the ones that should be compatible with your tuner. If you have trouble with them, you can try others later so don't worry too much about this.
    5. Click "install" for the selected choice.
    6. Reboot the PC.
    7. Open TV Server Configuration.
    8. Navigate to the "general" section, "software encoders" tab. You should be able to see at least one of each type of encoder (video and audio) installed now.
    9. Go to the scan section for "Analog Hauppauge Win TV 885 Tuner".
    10. Click "add s-video channels".
    11. Go to the second tab "settings".
    12. Select NTSC, 29.97 and 720x480.
    13. Go to the "manual control" section of TV Server Configuration.
    14. Click "stop service"... then "start service".
    After doing this, you should be able to go to the "TV Channels" section and see a few channels. The ones named "S-Video..." are the s-video inputs for your tuner. These should be viewable in MediaPortal now (assuming you've done basic configuration in MediaPortal Configuration - check hostname in TV section, and check TV codecs).

Don't hesitate to ask if any of the above is not clear. :)

[edit: You should not move or delete the folder that you extract "MPEG Encoder Package.zip" into after installing. If you wish to move it later, you will need to run Configuration.exe, uninstall the selection(s) that you previously installed, move the folder, run Configuration.exe again and install, then reboot.]

onepoorguy

Portal Member
    August 27, 2015
    Home Country
    Greetings,

I have completed the above. Should I uncheck the "CVBS" channels that I see in the "TV Channels" section? When I run MP it goes to one of those channels and I can't seem to select any other. There are two S-Video channels displayed. All channels in that section say "on 3", which is odd. Can't have multiple sources on the same channel, I wouldn't think.[DOUBLEPOST=1440690661][/DOUBLEPOST]OK...second time was better. I found the channels and was able to select S-Video#1. The others (including #2) are dead. Two things I notice about the picture is that it stutters, and the aspect ratio is wrong. I assume I can adjust the aspect in step 12 above. Presently it seems distorted, does not go full-screen and there is a large green bar at the bottom of the screen (below the actual TV image). But the stuttering is annoying. The audio is smooth but the video runs for half a second, stops for a fraction of that, then runs another half second...rinse and repeat. WMC did not do this, so it shouldn't be my card or other hardware.

I'm still thinking I should uncheck the other channels. What's the point if they're dead? Better just to deal with the live channel I would think.

Many thanks getting me this far. If we can fix the start/stop of the image and get it full screen (with no green bar) I think I will be good to go!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom