Taking the plunge! (1 Viewer)

Plantje

April 23, 2015
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
A few weeks ago I installed Windows 10 TP and as I was aware of there is no Windows Media Center available.
Now I have already posted something on the Windows 10 forums: http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/3860-any-word-media-center.html#post228538 That explains in detail what I like about WMC and I hope I can get it from MediaPortal as well!

What am I looking for here and in this thread?
I am not necessarily looking to reinstall my main WMC machine, but I want to try MediaPortal on another device and perhaps later on expand it to some other devices. If that is to my liking I think I will replace WMC with MediaPortal everywhere.

Main features I am looking for and hoping to get directed to a "How to" (or get direct explanation)
  • Connect MediaPortal to the tuners in my main WMC machine. What do I need to do if I want to install MP on my desktop PC and make use of the tuners that are available in my network through DVBLogic?
  • Watch live TV using the tuners
  • Record TV using the tuners (what format is used to store recorded TV?)
  • Record series like I am used to on WMC: just record series and every occurrence will be recorded
  • Play recorded TV on other devices running MP like I am used to: just by connecting the Recorded TV library to the central folder. If possible: play TV shows recorded using WMC (optional)
  • Play DVD's like I am used to in WMC: just copy the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders to a hard drive and have them available in my MP interface
  • Play a random slide show of all of my pictures
  • Play all music in random order
  • Is the Broadcom Crystal HD card supported? Have found https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/broadcom-crystal-hd-hardware-decoder-with-mp.77019/, but still not sure. This is optional too
  • Is it possible to use the WMC remote? I currently use those for two machines
Would you think it is easy just to test this in a few? I have found a very hard time testing XBMC/Kodi. I found it to be very contra productive. Way too many options and if something stops working it is very hard to determine the cause.
I don't see myself as a novice in computers (I am a Business Intelligence consultant), but to be quite honest: there is so much information that I don't know where to start.

And last but not least (perhaps the most important question): Which version to use? MediaPortal 1 or 2? What is the main difference?

Thanks in advance!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome! :)

I'll try to give concise answers to your questions where possible... though the answers can depend on whether you choose MP version 1 or 2. On that point...

And last but not least (perhaps the most important question): Which version to use? MediaPortal 1 or 2? What is the main difference?
    MP 1 and 2 are completely different.

The main difference is that MP2 has a server component where all the media locations and information are managed. In theory that means you configure the server once... and then you can connect any number of clients, and they will pick up the configuration from the server automatically. This (along with many other things you asked about) is described in the wiki:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/2_MEDIAPORTAL_2/1_Getting_Started/1_MP2_Components

You should keep in mind that MP2 is "alpha" software. That means it is still a work in progress. There will be bugs; there aren't as many skin and plugin choices as for MP1; etc.

You can (and IMHO should!) install MP1 and MP2 on the same PC, and decide for yourself whether MP2 is usable enough for your needs.

A few weeks ago I installed Windows 10 TP and as I was aware of there is no Windows Media Center available.
    For now, yes. I suspect MS will offer WMC in the same way as they did for W8/8.1, but this won't be confirmed until RTM. In other words, if you are satisfied with WMC then some patience might be all that is required.

Main features I am looking for and hoping to get directed to a "How to" (or get direct explanation)
    This is what our wiki is for:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/13_Quick_Setup
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/2_MEDIAPORTAL_2/2_Setup_Guides

Connect MediaPortal to the tuners in my main WMC machine. What do I need to do if I want to install MP on my desktop PC and make use of the tuners that are available in my network through DVBLogic?
    MediaPortal can't get TV directly from WMC or DVBLogic/DVBLink.
    MediaPortal has its own solution for live and recorded TV called TV Server.
    It may be possible to configure TV Server to get TV from DVBLink/DVBLogic TVSource. However, it would almost certainly be simpler to have TV Server control your tuners directly (...and not use DVBLink).
    Watch live TV using the tuners
    Yes, MP can do that. Setup guides for various configurations are in the wiki.

Record TV using the tuners
    Yes, no problem.

what format is used to store recorded TV?)
    Like most other TV software, we record the raw stream. So, the answer is: a .ts file (MPEG 2 transport stream) containing whatever video, audio, subtitles and teletext streams your TV provider broadcasts.

Record series like I am used to on WMC: just record series and every occurrence will be recorded
    Partially supported.
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...rd_TV/1_Scheduling_Recordings#Advanced_Record

Play recorded TV on other devices running MP like I am used to: just by connecting the Recorded TV library to the central folder.
    Yes.
    You can install TV Server on one PC ("server"/"backend"), install MediaPortal on multiple PCs ("client"/"front-end"), and connect the client(s) to the server. The client(s) will automatically see all the recordings that the server knows about.

If possible: play TV shows recorded using WMC (optional)
    Yes, you can play WTV files in MediaPortal, as long as they're not copy-protected.

Play DVD's like I am used to in WMC: just copy the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders to a hard drive and have them available in my MP interface
    Yes.

Play a random slide show of all of my pictures
    I don't know about random, but yes you can view pictures in MP.

Play all music in random order
    Pass. I don't use MP for music so I don't know if random playback is possible, but I would guess it is.

Is the Broadcom Crystal HD card supported? Have found https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/broadcom-crystal-hd-hardware-decoder-with-mp.77019/, but still not sure. This is optional too
    No, not directly. Codecs are responsible for handling hardware accelerated video decoding. If you can find a video codec that can use the decoder then you can tell MediaPortal to use that codec, and hopefully the card could be supported that way.

Is it possible to use the WMC remote? I currently use those for two machines
    Yes, of course. :)
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...iaPortal_Configuration/8_Remote/11_MCE_Remote

Would you think it is easy just to test this in a few?
    That entirely depends on what features you want to test, and how much customisation you want to do. You can get the basics working in a few minutes (configure codecs and locations of media)... but the more time you invest, the better MP will look and behave.

I have found a very hard time testing XBMC/Kodi. I found it to be very contra productive. Way too many options and if something stops working it is very hard to determine the cause.
    I don't see myself as a novice in computers (I am a Business Intelligence consultant), but to be quite honest: there is so much information that I don't know where to start.
    MediaPortal is intended to be more powerful and configurable than other HTPC solutions, so if you found Kodi tough then I'm not sure how you'll find MP.

It is natural for us as humans to be comfortable with what we know (which in your case is WMC), and it takes time and effort to learn anything new. Hopefully most things in MP will be intuitive. If not, we have the wiki and forum, which are full of helpful guides, information and people. If you have a problem or question, don't spend hours trying to deal with it yourself when there are resources here to give you a solution or answer in minutes. :)

Regards,
    mm

Plantje

April 23, 2015
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi,

First of all: thank you for your extensive explanation! Really appreciate it! There is no need to go through every item again, but I will pick a few out.

Hello and welcome! :)

I'll try to give concise answers to your questions where possible... though the answers can depend on whether you choose MP version 1 or 2. On that point...

MP 1 and 2 are completely different.

The main difference is that MP2 has a server component where all the media locations and information are managed. In theory that means you configure the server once... and then you can connect any number of clients, and they will pick up the configuration from the server automatically. This (along with many other things you asked about) is described in the wiki:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/2_MEDIAPORTAL_2/1_Getting_Started/1_MP2_Components

You should keep in mind that MP2 is "alpha" software. That means it is still a work in progress. There will be bugs; there aren't as many skin and plugin choices as for MP1; etc.
    Ok, got that out of the way!
    For now, yes. I suspect MS will offer WMC in the same way as they did for W8/8.1, but this won't be confirmed until RTM. In other words, if you are satisfied with WMC then some patience might be all that is required.
    Agreed. Still, since Microsoft is clearly not doing any effort in further development of WMC I am somewhat disappointed in them. That is also a reason to look for an alternative.
    Connect MediaPortal to the tuners in my main WMC machine. What do I need to do if I want to install MP on my desktop PC and make use of the tuners that are available in my network through DVBLogic?
    MediaPortal can't get TV directly from WMC or DVBLogic/DVBLink.
    MediaPortal has its own solution for live and recorded TV called TV Server.
    It may be possible to configure TV Server to get TV from DVBLink/DVBLogic TVSource. However, it would almost certainly be simpler to have TV Server control your tuners directly (...and not use DVBLink).
    Hmmm... that is too bad. In the long run I would be looking for ways to run DVBLogic on a NAS and have some network tuners made available through DVBLogic. I think I should be looking in different directions then.
    When running MP TV Server I think I am quickly bound to installing MP on the mediacenter machine that currently holds my tuners and thus lowering the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) of my HTPC :)
    what format is used to store recorded TV?)
    Like most other TV software, we record the raw stream. So, the answer is: a .ts file (MPEG 2 transport stream) containing whatever video, audio, subtitles and teletext streams your TV provider broadcasts.
    That's good to know!
    If possible: play TV shows recorded using WMC (optional)
    Yes, you can play WTV files in MediaPortal, as long as they're not copy-protected.
    That makes it easier to switch!
    Play DVD's like I am used to in WMC: just copy the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders to a hard drive and have them available in my MP interface
    Yes.
    Nice! That makes me decide to at least install an instance of MP on my desktop.
    I have found a very hard time testing XBMC/Kodi. I found it to be very contra productive. Way too many options and if something stops working it is very hard to determine the cause.
    MediaPortal is intended to be more powerful and configurable than other HTPC solutions, so if you found Kodi tough then I'm not sure how you'll find MP.
    I'll let you know :)
    It is natural for us as humans to be comfortable with what we know (which in your case is WMC), and it takes time and effort to learn anything new. Hopefully most things in MP will be intuitive. If not, we have the wiki and forum, which are full of helpful guides, information and people. If you have a problem or question, don't spend hours trying to deal with it yourself when there are resources here to give you a solution or answer in minutes. :)

Regards,
    mm
    I will get started then! Thanks again!

Regards,
    Rudi Hendrix

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    A shorter reply this time... :)

First of all: thank you for your extensive explanation! Really appreciate it!
    No problem. :)

Hmmm... that is too bad. In the long run I would be looking for ways to run DVBLogic on a NAS and have some network tuners made available through DVBLogic.
    What is it that you like about the DVBLogic + NAS solution?

I ask because DVBLogic/DVBLink is similar in function and purpose to our TV Server. Yes, TV Server can't run on a NAS unless that NAS runs Windows... and I can understand if you consider that a weakness. However, I'd respectfully suggest the DVBLink solution also has weaknesses. In particular, it ties you to certain tuners, and to front-ends that are DVBLink-compatible. If you consider an alternative networked tuner solution (for example, an HDHomeRun or SAT>IP tuner) then those limitations go away.

From a MediaPortal perspective: if you're concerned about power usage (ie. you don't want to run TV Server on an always-on PC), are you aware that it is possible to configure MP/TV Server to sleep and wake machines so that the machines only wake for recordings and/or when needed for live TV?

When running MP TV Server I think I am quickly bound to installing MP on the mediacenter machine that currently holds my tuners and thus lowering the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) of my HTPC :)
    I don't understand how WAF comes into this. If you can explain then I might be able to suggest an alternative configuration/solution. :)

Regards,
    mm

pauls67

Portal Member
    March 13, 2015
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,
    I am quite new to MP, being using it for about 6 weeks now
    I had never used media centre software before this, so the setup was a bit daunting for me, but following the wiki installs and it all ran very smoothly

After reading about it and getting it set up, It now just does everything for me, records all episodes of tv shows, even ignores duplicate airings (this is one of the top features for me)
    I have had a few issues, but the developers on here have been great and responded very quickly

Good luck with your install
    Paul

Plantje

April 23, 2015
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hmmm... that is too bad. In the long run I would be looking for ways to run DVBLogic on a NAS and have some network tuners made available through DVBLogic.
    What is it that you like about the DVBLogic + NAS solution?

I ask because DVBLogic/DVBLink is similar in function and purpose to our TV Server. Yes, TV Server can't run on a NAS unless that NAS runs Windows... and I can understand if you consider that a weakness. However, I'd respectfully suggest the DVBLink solution also has weaknesses. In particular, it ties you to certain tuners, and to front-ends that are DVBLink-compatible. If you consider an alternative networked tuner solution (for example, an HDHomeRun or SAT>IP tuner) then those limitations go away.
    I agree with you on that. If Microsoft does abandon WMC or I decide to move away from WMC myself I can better investigate the situation all over again and determine new best steps rather than trying to bend my current situation to MP.
    From a MediaPortal perspective: if you're concerned about power usage (ie. you don't want to run TV Server on an always-on PC), are you aware that it is possible to configure MP/TV Server to sleep and wake machines so that the machines only wake for recordings and/or when needed for live TV?
    Yes, the same goes for WMC. Currently (because we have quite some recordings and the TV is on during a long time every day) we basically have an always on system.
    I don't understand how WAF comes into this. If you can explain then I might be able to suggest an alternative configuration/solution. :)
    I have learned that fiddling around with the main mediacenter can cause longer periods of unavailability of our mediacenter. (There are times when I have to work for example) That causes a lot of complaints :)
    At this time I have arranged for some backups, but they don't work as nice as any mediacenter system!

I have installed MP and have been able to play some music, browse through some pictures. But to be quite honest: it wasn't as intuitive as what I am used to using WMC. I know that getting to know a new system takes some time.
    For the time being I will take your first advice: on my Windows 8.1 machines I will continue to use WMC and see what happens with Windows 10. Perhaps in the long run if I have some time left (as if :)) I can build myself some apps that do specifically that what I look for in WMC.

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Some code to help the situation ;)

Code:
    function installMP(inc=>highWAF) {
      downloadMP.exe;
      installMP.exe;