Targa MCE remote isn't fully working. How to find the correct keycodes?

Discussion in 'Input/Output Interfaces' started by marint, February 8, 2012.

1. marint

marint New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    I have here a remote control that was included with my girlfriends old laptop (a Targa something, which is a rebrand brand of the local german supermarket Lidl). It seems to be a Windows MCE remote (it has the MCE specific layout and looks very similar to other ones) and has a dedicated IR-Usb receiver.

Windows recognized it as a HID device and MediaPortal (kind of) supports it if I enable the MCE remote support. Here is the part of the MediaPortal logfile where it loads the mapping: https://gist.github.com/1770627

However, some of the keys are not working. Most importantly, the info Key doesn't work, which is really a pain. To my understanding, MediaPortal loads the file defaults/InputDeviceMappings/Microsoft MCE.xml which is used to map keycodes to specifiy actions.

I'm mostly a Linux user, so I hooked up the IR receiver to my Linux machine and used xev to confirm that the receiver indeed sends keycodes on each of the buttons. However, the Linux keycodes seem not to correlate with the values in the XML file, so I suspect windows and linux use different codes.
    To my understandin I simply need to find out the correct keycodes and entered them in the XML file. Am I correct or this this more complicated? If not, how do I find these keycodes?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. AEOne

AEOne Portal Pro

http://www.cohaus-berlin.de/shop
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    The black Targa MCE Remote is a special one - not a "real" MCE remote.
    As you described, the remote is recognized as a HID device (instead of eHome-device, if you use a "real" MCE remote). That's why I would suggest: Try in the MP configurations the settings "use a HID remote". Perhaps that will work better.

Kind regards, AEOne

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!