[News] Team Management Changes (1 Viewer)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I think he means it's good for him (since he doesn't plan to move to W7/MPII) that there will still be a dedicated team for MPI...
    Not moving to W7 is a bad idea in any case.

Even MP1 highly benefits from W7.

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    W7 is a better OS. Period.

As for what (and if it) hits the streets in a year... let's not be too sure Bagger.
    MP development cycle is very slow.

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I think he means it's good for him (since he doesn't plan to move to W7/MPII) that there will still be a dedicated team for MPI...

True but for some it might be too expensive to buy a W7 licence just to get a few advantages and a shinier os on their htpc.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

True but for some it might be too expensive to buy a W7 licence just to get a few advantages and a shinier os on their htpc.
    Compared to Vista, I agree,
    Compared to WindowsXp, i do not agree.

Using WinXP (especially) on a HTPC is plain pointless now. :sorry:

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

Compared to Vista, I agree,
    Compared to WindowsXp, i do not agree.

Using WinXP (especially) on a HTPC is plain pointless now. :sorry:

I have to disagree with your disagreeing... ;)

What great advantage has a W7 installation (especially if MP is running in the foreground anyways) over a XP installation on a singleseat htpc? Everything will work the same or are their any features in MPI that cannot be used with XP?
    • faster network shares: I never had problems with nfs speed with XP (GB Lan)
    • codecs and stuff: I had just the same amount of ***** when setting up my W7 codecs.

Don't get me wrong, I like W7 (I have it installed on all my systems by now) and I'd gladly change my mine if there was some killer feature of W7 that I missed so far but after more than a year of W7 I haven't found it.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    What great advantage has a W7 installation (especially if MP is running in the foreground anyways) over a XP installation on a singleseat htpc? Everything will work the same or are their any features in MPI that cannot be used with XP?
    • faster network shares: I never had problems with nfs speed with XP (GB Lan)
    • codecs and stuff: I had just the same amount of ***** when setting up my W7 codecs.

Don't get me wrong, I like W7 (I have it installed on all my systems by now) and I'd gladly change my mine if there was some killer feature of W7 that I missed so far but after more than a year of W7 I haven't found it.
    There is not "one killer feature", and it is nonesense to lookout only for such when searching for a new software.
    Its always the package that counts - not one feature.

Let me give you a short list:
    • WinXp wont reveive any mediaplayback related updates anymore (and no other updates in the near future)
    • WinXp SP3 wont even work correctly with dvb cards without our "dvb-fix" - and there wont be any more fixes from M$ for issues which are still present with the dvb-fix
    • WinXp is not able to do 100% smooth playback of videofiles (EVR only working in sw-mode - i call that hack)
    • WinXp does not support SMB2
    • WinXp is in general more and more ignored by software and hardware companies
    • S3/S4 is a lot better working under W7
    • for many gfx-cards, development of WinXP drivers has been _stopped_ - so nomore bugfixes and updates
    • W7 includes codecs which get h.264, mpeg2 and DVD playback (navigator filter) working right out of the box
    • MP2 will require W7

The list can be made 3 times as long without any efforts. But from that short list, its quite obvious why WinXp is definitly nolonger the first choise for PC's in general (and especially not for HTPC's).

MLH01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I agree entirely with infinityloop.

I started using MP under Vista. I had issues with S3 standby, drivers and a few other annoying bugs. Vista SP1 helped, but it was still buggy.

I installed Win 7 x86 on my HTPC and have never looked back. It is by far the best OS M$ has created. It has modern technology built in. It works well without service packs (by contrast, XP has had 3). Granted, XP was a good OS and has lasted well. But its technology is now dated.

Since then I have upgraded my 2 other (non-HTPC) computers to Win7 x64. I'm very happy with this OS, not just for MP but for any application.

Just my 2c anyway (and no, I don't work for or get paid by M$) :D

MLH01.

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    You make good points i-loop but for me MediaPortal behaved just as well under XP as it does under W7 (be it hacks or not, they worked). I'm not saying for some users it may solve problems that existed in XP but if someone has a fully working solution under XP (like I had) I'd say it's hardly worth spending €100 just to get W7 on a htpc that won't even benefit from the new features because MPI is running all day which has the same features on W7/XP. I got my copies for free (legally, not what you think :p) so I'm not complaining here but I would have never updated otherwise.

One word on the S3 thingy: My laptop running W7 will automatically wake after a few minutes if I let it go to "sleep", can't really figure out why (never had that on XP).

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    You make good points i-loop but for me MediaPortal behaved just as well under XP as it does under W7 (be it hacks or not, they worked). I'm not saying for some users it may solve problems that existed in XP but if someone has a fully working solution under XP (like I had) I'd say it's hardly worth spending €100 just to get W7 on a htpc that won't even benefit from the new features because MPI is running all day which has the same features on W7/XP. I got my copies for free (legally, not what you think :p) so I'm not complaining here but I would have never updated otherwise.
    The good old "Never change a runing system" rule still applies. And I do not try to say that you have to break yours just for the sake of using w7. :)

What I mean is that if someone considers to build a new HTPC (or has issues currently) then he should definitly go for W7.
    At the end of the day, everyone has to find the solution which works best for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom