Teleivsion quality (esp. sports) (1 Viewer)

Flerbizky

Portal Pro
July 18, 2005
Copenhagen
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Wow, talk about "world of difference." I need to play a bit with the brightness, but otherwise the picture is now just as clear and crisp--and no motion artifacts!--as my STB. I forgot to try the drivers and codec separately, but I'll post later on which one made more (any) difference.

So it's not just me then :)

Cheers,
Steff

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Wow, talk about "world of difference." I need to play a bit with the brightness, but otherwise the picture is now just as clear and crisp--and no motion artifacts!--as my STB. I forgot to try the drivers and codec separately, but I'll post later on which one made more (any) difference.

Due to "hack", drivers or codecs?

quiller

Portal Pro
    November 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Whaddya know, Joe? I've now got a picture equal to, if not better than, my digital STB. The killer combination turned out to be about 15% the new drivers (noticeable improvement, but not very significant), 40% the nVidia codec (very significant improvement; still dark and pixelated occasionally), and 45% resolution. Forcing my video card to display at 720x576 instead of 800x600 was the final, ultimate step.

Now my only question is why I didn't find/read/hear of this earlier? Since very few CRT televisions (any?) will "natively" support 720x576, this should definitely be on the "why does my picture quality suck?" checklist.

diehard2

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi Quiller,

You are probably still experiencing the pixelation because your bitrate is set low. I'm not sure if MP can control the quality on those cards. When I get some time in the next six months or so, I'm going give MP the capability to change the settings on all Hauppauge products. This may work for your card. Enable the quality control settings in the config. Set it to high and post your log file. I'll let you know if any quality control is happening.

Dragonjack

Portal Member
    December 8, 2006
    Oslo
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    PVR-150MCE bad TV-quality

Hallo

I have been watching the forum for a while to try to get some clues about my TV-card "problem"!
    I will thank you all (all the forum) for many great suggestions.

My problem is like above! TV through HTPC (PVR-150MCE) gives me a dark grayish unsharp picture! (Like wathing TV with filthy sunglasses!!!). (WAF < 0)
    HTPC -> TV = Composite
    Windows (720x576) looks sharp, clear and colorful (relative with 32" Wide CRT). MP looks sharp, clear and colorful. Everything looks that "good" except TV-recordings!

I have tried your suggestion by upgrading the Hauppage-driver to 2.0.48......, but that causes my HTPC to hang! Back to the old 2.0.43......
    Tried a few codecs (cyberlink, MPV and ATI), but they all gives the same picture. Have tried to adjust in Hauppage Tweak Tool without any better picture.

At last I tried to play my recordings from outside MP, in Windows Media player. It shows the same crappy picture. It is the recordings that are being messed up somehow!!!

Can the codec mess up those recordings before they are stored? If so, will the nVidia-codec solve this? Is this codec so much better than ATI?

Have read in another topic that Hauppage is releasing a new driver (2.7......), but I am not sure that this is the solution!

Dragonjack

Portal Member
    December 8, 2006
    Oslo
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Discovered that it works!!!!

Hi winux, and all of you.

At last I had the time to adjust things and to answer!
    As I said in my post, I tried the Tweak tool with no result!!!
    Later on I discovered that I had to reboot my HTPC for the changes to work!!! A boring piece of work wathing this!!!!

Now is the question how to do this right? Well, it is just try and watch. Big steps first, smaller later on!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom