TestPatterns for MediaPortal 1.12 (1 Viewer)

Marcus Venturi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    mediaportalbannerwide-png.163481

After developing the first version of this plugin I got a lot of feedback, that my testing method is not correct, as the images I displayed where not in the color space used by the codec.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/testpatterns-for-mediaportal-1-11.130269/

@kiwijunglist pointed me into the right direction, because he posted that the calibration images must use the same codec that is used for watching the movies.

Here is a link to his thread about display calibration:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/guide-perfect-playback-display-calibration.119610/

I tried a lot of possible solutions, but finally came to the conclusion: I must generate videos out of the test patterns.

And here is the result!

With this plugin you can create and manage calibration video files. You just one or two images of a test pattern. The plugin will create a calibration video out of your patterns.

In MediaPortal you can display the patterns with a configurable hotkey. Every selected video is played in an endless loop until you press the STOP-key.

Main window
    upload_2015-10-28_18-55-38.png

It is possible to add new, delete or modify existing test patterns.

Hotkey for Selection Menu

The hotkey for showing the list of the available patterns in MediaPortal can defined, the default is CTRL + T.

Add/modify test pattern
    upload_2015-10-28_18-56-0.png

Common Information

Every test pattern has a name, a description and maybe a link to a short description how to use this pattern

Then you can add an image. The image is copied into the plugin data directory which normally is in C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\TestPatterns.

Alternate Image

If you pattern needs an alternating image you can add that image here (like to above mention black/white level test).
    Alternating images are toggled with an intervall of one second.

Target video

For testing 3D mode it is possible to generate 3D SBS or TAB video calibration file.

Calibration Video Generation

When closing the TestPattern setup with OK, the plugin checks if you have modified an existing pattern or have created a new one.

In both cases the necessary video files are generated:

upload_2015-10-28_18-56-53.png

If you start MediaPortal and press CTRL + T the following list appears:
    testpatternsmenu-png.163486

Now if you select a pattern, you will see it on the screen:
    testpattern1-png.163488

You can turn the test pattern off by pressing CTRL + T again and selecting the last item "Off" from the list. Or you could just press the STOP button on the remote which will also stop the Video.
    testpattern3-png.163490

Here another example for a test pattern included.
    testpattern4-png.163491

And there are patterns for 3D mode.
    upload_2015-10-28_18-57-45.png

This is helpful for testing Auto3D (another plugin I wrote).

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...or-mediaportal-1-2-1-12-gui-tv-beamer.116708/

If you select a 3D pattern you can test if the auto recognition of 3D material works as it should.

As this version uses video files, no core changes are necessary for MediaPortal, it just works with 1.12 out of the box!

Everyone that has ideas for new test patterns is invited to post them here :)

Attachments

• TestPatterns_1.12.mpe1
      15.7 MB
    • TestPatterns_1.12_1.mpe1
      17.7 MB
    Last edited:

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Nice one for those who need it ;)
    *** EDIT *** Works perfect (even on 1.13 Pre Release that the team is just testing) - THX m8 (y)

Last edited:

Marcus Venturi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    New version supports generating 3D SBS or TAB calibration files. This is helpful for testing Auto3D. When switching to a 3D calibration file, Auto3D should recognize it and switch to the correct 3D mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom