The Newbie Question (1 Viewer)

Excalibur5

May 11, 2010
Alaska
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
As with most newbies here, I am asking for advice, and I know there will be many opinions... I am trying to set up a HD-DVR for home use, and am wanting some hardware recommendations.. Fyi, budget is $300 or under.

My current Setup:

Sony Bravia LCD TV (40")
Denon AV 7.1 reciever
Computer:
Dell Vostro 200 with the following:
Windows XP Professional, SP3
2 gigs ram
Intel Pentium Dual Core 1.8GHz
2 Hard Drives; 320 Gig WD Caviar, and 1TB WD Caviar
300W Power Supply
Built In Sound Card, Built In video (Intel G33/G31 Chipset)
Built in 10/100 Ethernet
1 meg DSL (fastest I can get here...)
Wireless keyboard & mouse.

I am recieving programming with a rooftop antenna, and getting both digital and analog channels.

What I want:
Dual-tuner 1080i compliant DVR that will also play my MP3 collection, and stream web video (hulu). It does not need to handle Blu-Ray or dvd's, as I already have a dedicated player. Shouldn't be too loud when running. Needs to work with a remote. I would like the video card to have a HDMI output. This will be a dedicated HTPC.

I figure I need both a better video card and a dual-tuner PVR card with the bundled remote; then use Mediaportal to make it all talk together. Can anyone recommend a hardware combo? I am figuring something like a Hauppage Dual-tuner card (must be PCI); and a GT220 video card (PCI-Express). Any recommendations for brand/part number to use?

Also, will the power supply be adequate, or should I upgrade?

Thanks!

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    The 1.8 dual-core may be ok given you'll order a graphics card w/hardware acceleration capability. It seems you're limited to a PCI card for the tuner and I have really liked the Hauppauge 1600 and its remote control. It's still available in various model numbers to include either the MCE or standard remote and an IR blaster/or not. Considering you asked for a remote control I endorse the 1600... it's a NTSC/ATSC/QAM so it'll cover two of your needs, considering the remote makes three! I'm stumped that you're in the US and receiving analog over the air - must be a local low-power station. As far as asking for "dual-tuner" I don't know if I've done so, or you want an additional ATSC tuner(s), I haven't looked for PCI-based ones but did just buy an open-box AVerMedia Duet for under $50 which works great, but it's PCI-e x1. You could watch for the HDHomeRun to go on sale - can be bought for $125. I can't say whether you should be concerned about the video card and its ability to pass audio via the HDMI through the PCIe x16 bus, or if a jumper cable would be required from a SPDIF output on your mobo - yes, another variable, does your mobo HAVE an internal SPDIF output connector, or will you be using some other means for your audio? Also, study your real-estate on your mobo BEFORE you order any video card as many crowd/obscure adjacent slots, or actually use two slots to be installed! And the case cooling fans/air flow should be considered as well...

As far as the PSU, look at this eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5 on-line... seems you'll be fine (<300W) with the add=on cards!

Excalibur5

May 11, 2010
    Alaska
    Home Country
    Well, I have already ordered my combo, hopefully it will work together... If it helps, you can see pictures of my exact motherboard and case here (about 1/3 of the way down)

Dell Vostro 200 | Overclockers

You will see the PCI-Ex16 in the photo where I will be putting the video card, and the PCI-E slot right below it where I will be inserting the tv tuner card...

Here is what I bought:

Galaxy gt220 video card, the exact model shown here: Amazon.com: Galaxy Technology 1 GB DDR2 625MHz GeForce GT220 Graphics Card 22TGE8HX2IUN: Electronics

and a Hauppauge tuner card, the 2250, exact model shown here: Amazon.com: Hauppauge 1213 WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual Hybrid PCI-E TV Tuner Board with Media Center Remote Control and…

It LOOKS like the cards will fit next to one another, and with the low profile tuner card, it should hopefully allow for airflow to the video card without much trouble, even though they are right next to one another... The reason I originally said the tuner had to be PCI is because of the close proximity of the slots on the MOBO, but after looking closely, I believe they will sit side by side.

Any input? See any major issues?

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    I still have no answer on the HDMI audio path although your video card doesn't seem to have a jack or cable - maybe that's a sign that using the correct drivers you'll be fine! I think you've made a good choice on the 2250 as it can record 2 analog, 2 a/v capture, or 2 ATSC channels simultaneously or any combination of two even while you watch a previously recorded program from your HDD. The 220 you bought is flat, not hanging over the adjacent slot and it looks like you'll be fine - consider a nylon wedge to keep the two from getting too close together before you close up the case... nothing too aggressive, but just something to keep the fan in fresh air!

Since you're posting here I'll gather you're running MP 1.1 - RC2 ? How far along are you with it? Are you running it or still waiting on the new cards to delve into the world of MediaPortal?

Excalibur5

May 11, 2010
    Alaska
    Home Country
    The video card does actually have HDMI out, which is partly why I chose that model. My preference would actually be to just use the onboard sound card, instead of the HDMI sound, largely because it would allow me to feed sound to my home theater amp without the TV being on (Amp does not have HDMI capability, to use HDMI sound, it first goes to the tv, and then to the amplifier). This is perfect for MP3's or Pandora.

I will make sure there is enough space for airflow between the two cards when I put them in.

So far, I have downloaded and done a basic install of MP 1.1 RC2 and am in the early stages of configuration. Some of this stuff is definately NOT intuitive. So far, it will play my MP3 collection (although I would prefer to integrate it with Itunes to allow the playlists to be better), view all my onboard video and pictures, and shows me the weather.

The Tuner card shows up in about an hour according to fedex, so that will be next, attempting to get it configured and working with all my local channels (rooftop antenna feed). The video card is a couple more days behind, so for a little bit longer, I am stuck with the onboard video, which should at least be good enough to get it set up and tested.

I am still trying to figure out how to get the program guide to download the program information for my area (Anchorage, Alaska). With the card in, and the tv channels detected, will it then partially auto configure for downloading program info for my detected stations?

winterescape

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2009
    Home Country
    I am still trying to figure out how to get the program guide to download the program information for my area (Anchorage, Alaska). With the card in, and the tv channels detected, will it then partially auto configure for downloading program info for my detected stations?

I would comment that I like your selection of hardware and the advice you received so far is great. I think you have a very good platform to do what you want. My setup and design intent is similar to yours. See “my system” link.

To get program info I use zap2xml currently and have used mc2xml. Both free, zap2xml gives less program detail but allows you to customize the channel line up.

See the threads I linked in this post for detail…

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-epg-over-air-atsc-channels-80062/#post598760

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    on the 2250 as it can record 2 analog, 2 a/v capture, or 2 ATSC channels simultaneously or any combination of two even while you watch a previously recorded program

Thats interesting, so with atsc, you cannot access all channels on one transponder simultaneously the same as dvb here, which in theory having 2 dvb-t tuners, I can acess 20+ tv\radio channels at once, to give you a better idea, here is my local transmitter Winter Hill, the only limitation to how many recordings can be done at the same time is the pci bus speed and also the hdd's write speed.

Excalibur5

Good choice on the gt220, plays everything I throw at it video wise :)

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    Each broadcaster has an assigned RF frequency to use with a bandwidth of 18 MB/s (not exactly sure on the units, but it's adequate for a single HD broadcast and a couple more low resolution sub-channels). And, while the broadcast stream includes all of the sub-channels, one can stream the entire TS to a HDD, but that's where you guys come in with your TS-Writer, don't you? In fact, I don't know whether MP streams the entire stream, or parses out the specific sub-channel before it gets written. At least that's how the previous version of MP did things with the DVR-MS format...

I have a buddy who follows MythTV and they have come up with what they call "Virtual" tuners. I think they can assign these and control them better - especially as you're eluding to when you have multiple subchannels on a single RF frequency, or as you would call it one transponder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom