Tired of Windows 10 (1 Viewer)

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Been using Windows 10 for around 3 months and i am honestly dissapointed.

My media pc was running windows 7 for many happy years, lately tho i had to upgrade to either 10 or 8.1 in order to watch native 3D.
    So i went with 10, i regret it now and i am seriously thinking of getting 8.1.

Windows 10 is by far the wost OS i tried. The fact that i am not in control is driving me nuts. Updates poping left and right, useless pre installed apps and an automatic drivers update system.
    All of the above are really terrible for a dedicated HTPC setup. Disabling, removing all the crap takes time and yesterday i found out that all my efforts ended up in a trash can after the latest anniversary update, the group policy rules preventing automatic updates are being over written and all the crapware is installed again once the update is done.
    So i wonder why am i still using Windows 10 when i can simply install 8.1.
    Anyone else dissapointed in microsoft lately?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    8.1 is much more crap than 10. 8.1 is the very last OS I would ever use. Then I definitely will prefer Linux over Win 8.1

The fact that i am not in control is driving me nuts.
    This is something that depends on the Windows 10 version a lot and, by the way, it is something MS has "stolen" from Apple. At least with the Pro version (my Win 10 Pro x64 licences were about 5,50€ each, but this was before the free upgrade offer ends) you can gain most if not all of the control back. As opposite to any previous Windows versions Win 10 Pro version has very much advantages over the "Home" version and is far the best choice, even for average home users. I've started to test Win 10 with some of the many Win 8 Home licences I've laying around here from the days everyone wants to downgrade their pre- installed with Win 8 computer to Win 7... I kept the licences as some sort of "payment" as I thought, some day you probably can use them.. But very soon I realized I would not get happy with Win 10 Home ever. So I decided to buy some cheap Win 7 Professional licences short before the free upgrade period ends. This was the right decision as for 5,50€ I will never get a valid Win 10 Pro licence any more... My old Win 7 Ultimate licences I can't use for upgrading as they were volume licences from a company I worked for in past. But as I don't work there any more I need to have new licences nevertheless...

useless pre installed apps
    As usual on any Android or iOS device most of the "bloatware" can not be uninstalled, but most can be disabled at least. Overall Win 10 did not need that much disk space as Win 7 needs, even with all those bloatware included...

in order to watch native 3D.
    Why? I have played 3D movies a lot (not at home, I don't have a 3D TV but at others places) on Win 7. Always working without issues.

Win 7 was, is and most likely will be the best OS Microsoft ever made. But it has it's limitations too. Last week I've done a clean install of Win 7 Home Premium x64 on my sisters Laptop. The installation lasts about 45 minutes plus an additional 20 minutes for driver installation. The necessary Windows updates lasts about 36 hours.:mad:

Slowly I get used to Win 10 in meantime after upgrading from Win 7 in June 2016. This has taken a few month but now I'm happy with Win 10 in most parts. When ever the remaining driver issues are solved, I will be prepared to use Win 10 for some years then. As example I really like the new start menu a lot after configuring it to my personal taste:
    Zwischenablage-1.jpg

Some features like the multiple desktops (well known from Linux), the Unix bash and a very few of the "live tiles" are pretty nice to have. The "integration of Security Essentials" into "Defender" also was a good decision. I don't run the "real time virus detection" (never needed something like this) but I can test a suspicious file simply by right clicking on it without the need to install and maintain a stand alone program for this very rare cases. And I like the way how easy the integration of e.g. my Google calendar in Win 10 was. And Win 10 is pretty stable, as far as I can judge this up to now. But this was valid for Win 7 too.

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    I decided to give 8.1 a go. Got a very cheap license so i will install them on a spare disk and see how they perform. Tbh i am just tired of trying to adjust 10 to my needs. I am already happy that i will finally disable windows updates :) hahahah

Sent from my GT-I9205 using Tapatalk

flintstone99

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    well same happened to me. Happy with 7, but then thought I'd take 10 as long as still free of charge.
    Was very annoyed with the upgrades and took the hard brake
    I simply disabled the windows update service and that stops all of it. Of course I also loose security updates and such things, but on my HTPC I have only the MePo client, nothing else. Not even the content is on that machine, that is on a server in the Lan. And the HTPC is used only for MePo....no browsing, no mails, no nothing, so a very limited risk any virus, trojan or whatsoever could make it onto that box.

So now it is again smoothly running w/o any updates, patches, driver updates screwing up the system in the background ....

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Thats exactly my issue. I want to be able to install security updates but i dont want to install crap drivers. With 10 this is something that has to be adjusted with different gpedit.msc and registry tweaks. And once there is an anniversary update out all the tweaks are gone and i have to apply them again. I simply got not control over the updates, it is just stupid. I paid for my 10 license and i regret for it.

And i wont mention the apps mess, i know many people dont even care but for me my HTPC has to be as clean as possible, i dont want extra stuff lingering around. Apps are annoying cause they are forced upon users but what is more annoying is the fact that u cannot remove all of them even if u want to. I am sure that 10 are a better OS when compared to 8.1 but i personaly refuse to be treated like that for a product that i paid.

So my descision is biased by my mentality and it has nothing to do with the actual performance of 10. I am sure MP will work just fine on 8.1 and as a bonus i will be in control of my OS.

Thats just me.

Sent from my GT-I9205 using Tapatalk

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Maybe those Upgrade issues are related to the Home version. I bought very cheap Win 7 Pro licences (5 € each) near to the end of the free upgrade period. So I got Win 10 Pro for 5 €...
    And on Pro you can select whether you want to have the updates automatically or not. No issues with this here... I first tested Win 10 with a spare Win 8.1 Home licence and I wasn't really happy with. So I went for Pro and this is much better. On earlier Windows you most likely didn't need the "Pro" versions as you most of the time easily can install the missing stuff for free. But with Win 10 there seems to be a general difference between Home and Pro versions not only in included programs like on any Windows version before 10. The update procedure is different, the security options are different even the control panel is different between Home and Pro.

Win 10 Home really is for users only who didn't care about their PC at all. The machine just should run and they are happy. But if you want to do special things, want to tweak Windows and similar you must "Go for Pro"...

U

ularkusut

i used windows 10 in my asus laptop and the laptop is core i5. but feel liat core 2 duo computer. now after i change back to windows 7, everything back in normal again. yet, maybe the worst os is windows 8 for me, that is just unuseable

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom