Tivo via Colossus newbie question (1 Viewer)

Jay1980

June 10, 2014
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi all, about to take the leap and setup a HTPC. Did some research and love the look of Media Portal and my question is this. With the Hauppauge Colossus card, can I run component out of my Tivo box into the colossus card and watch live tv.

Ultimately I want to plug into my TV via my Asus GeForce® GTX750 using HDMI. I know the Colossus card is recommended by Media Portal and its a card geared towards "recording". But can it be used to just view live tv with the feed coming from the Tivo box? Or do I need a dedicated TV card.

Currently in Sydney Australia and would love your input on this.

Cheers

Jay

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Jay :)

my question is this. With the Hauppauge Colossus card, can I run component out of my Tivo box into the colossus card and watch live tv.
    Yes, absolutely! :)

I know the Colossus card is recommended by Media Portal and its a card geared towards "recording".
    The Colossus is no more geared towards recording than it is live TV. Either and/or both should work fine. :)

When you install the card you'll see it show up in the tuner list as Colossus crossbar/Xbar or similar.
    Go to the scanning page for the card which should look like this:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ver_Configuration/02_TV_Servers/7_Scan_Analog

Click "add s-video channels" to add the external inputs into the channel list.
    That's the only unusual part of the setup. Everything else is as per normal for any other tuner card.

mm

Jay1980

June 10, 2014
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks mm for the speedy response. I shall get the Colossus card then. I was wondering if you could verify one more thing for me :p I shouldn't have any trouble with the sound coming into the Colossus (from my Tivo), then out of my video card (via HDMI) into my Tv? The sound would blast out of my Tv speakers as per normal watching live tv...?
    Thanks again for your help!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I shouldn't have any trouble with the sound coming into the Colossus (from my Tivo), then out of my video card (via HDMI) into my Tv? The sound would blast out of my Tv speakers as per normal watching live tv...?
    Should work fine. The Colossus is pretty much designed to do what you're wanting to do with it.

Shadime

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 2, 2009
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi Jay1980

You can also get a TV tuner card and such as Hauppauge, Digital Now etc and plug an antenna into it and record, watch etc rather than plugging your Tivo in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom