tooltips, please (1 Viewer)

Reggie Schaffnit

Portal Member
September 16, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I find that things I think are buttons have no effect when clicked and the buttons I recognize have 'tech' titles that don't help me understand what they are. I've looked at the wiki and it repeats at length that "this button does the blatting action". But what IS blatting? I'm in North America. Do I care about blatting?

MediaPortal is so rich, it's like saying "Here's C++. You can do ANYTHING with it"

In my case, I've installed both client and server on my development machine before I commit to getting rid of Media Center. Is that even wise?

mrj

Portal Pro
January 27, 2012
Hi Reggie
I agree with you in general. The help texts are a bit terse. A more verbose text would be very useful for beginners, and there is space available for that.
Perhaps a help page inside the client with terminology would be a good idea.

mrj

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've looked at the wiki and it repeats at length that "this button does the blatting action".

Which page in the Wiki ?

Keep in mind that MP is developed by an international team of people (mostly in Europe), hence many contributors to the project don't have English as their native language. Although everyone tries their best, this can sometimes result in language oddities in the Wiki information.

(Even those of us who are native English speakers don't always use the same language - trousers or pants, take-away or carry-out, bonnet or hood ? ;))

Reggie Schaffnit

Portal Member
    September 16, 2015
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    That was a general reaction after I closed the wiki and got an adult beverage. I will have to go back and look again.

What I'm looking for in particular is a tooltip that indicates that a certain screen element is clickable and hints as to what it does. I've gotten click-happy trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. I understand that some actions may or may not be available because of the availability of hardware, plug-ins, or whatever.

I think a lot of my frustration is due to installing on my main development machine where I do everything else. I.E. nothing stays put for long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom