Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    In meantime the Kodi wiki is back online again. This is how Kodi is handling trailer:

You only can have one trailer per movie. The trailer can be a locally stored file or an URL, not both. If you add the URL to the .nfo a locally available file will be ignored. If the trailer is stored locally it has to be next to the main movie and must be named exactly as the movie video with "-trailer" addition. This also is valid for BD and DVD folder. Then you need to name the trailer "index-trailer.ext" for BD and "Video_TS-trailer.ext" for DVD...

Fo usage of online trailer you need a tag "<trailer></trailer>" in the .nfo file. This has to contain an URL, not a path to a local video file. Aside this you need an addon (plugin) to play YouTube content as the URL are from YouTube. The same scenario in MP would be that the online- trailer are played with OnlineVideos plugin...

Once set up you can play some (random) trailer before the start of the movie you want to watch, similar to the experience in a "real" cinema. This is part of the core Kodi and needs no further addon. This is working with local and online trailer, even mixed online and local trailer, if you have a mixed setup (and YouTube addon installed)...

Trailer for series are not implemented in Kodi (nor they are in Media-Buddy)...

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    TMDB seems also not to offer localized trailers for series, so we need to probably also skip this as Kodi in MP2. Instead of local paths in the nfo file placing the trailer next to the main movie with the correct naming convention is the better solution.

AdHu86

Portal Pro
    January 14, 2022
    Berlin
    Home Country
    England England
    These are great news. The Cinema plugin seems interesting, I had no chance to try the older version unfortunately. But the trailer function is something I really missed sometimes. If wife and me were uncertain which movie to watch the trailer might have accelerated the decision :D

AdHu86

Portal Pro
    January 14, 2022
    Berlin
    Home Country
    England England
    Just one question: Must it be a plugin or can you not integrate this directly? I’ve no problem with a plugin, but if it is depending on the importer it seems easier to have it integrated into the client and server directly.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just one question: Must it be a plugin or can you not integrate this directly? I’ve no problem with a plugin, but if it is depending on the importer it seems easier to have it integrated into the client and server directly.
    Maybe the wording “plugin” is misleading, because almost every feature in MP2 is basically a plugin. This allows to even exchange core elements easily.

Short: Of course it can be also a feature as part of the installer, means integrated for the user.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom