Ongoing Transmitting HTPC output via Coax. (1 Viewer)

Phil W

Portal Member
October 1, 2007
Hi,
I've pretty much completed my HTPC build and love what it can do...my only desire now is to somehow transmit the output round the house (its currently connected to plasma via HDMI cable).

I have all other equipment (SKY, SKY+ etc) routed round the house via coax.

The HTPC has a Hauppause NOVA T-500 TV card in it which only appears to have a coax input.

So my question is is it possible to get a TV Card with a coax out socket which can then also distribute the MediaPortal output all round the house?

Cheers
Phil

milhouse

Portal Pro
November 9, 2006
Raleigh, NC U.S.
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Short answer is "no" - TV cards don't have an output like that.

What you are looking for is an external device, similar to this:
RF modulator

In my case, my motherboard has TV outs. They manage to work simultaneously for S-video (which I route to the TV) and RCA (which routes to the RF modulator, and the coax out goes to the rest of the house).

The catch is your resolution you are running at. I assume you are at 1920 x 1080 or 1024 x 768. I am not sure that RF modulators can convert a resolution this high.

The really hard part is the audio. Multiple outputs on a PC don't tend to work very well. I could only get both the digital and the analog (for modulator) to work when I was using dolby pro logic mode. NOT in spdif.

mgithens

Portal Member
December 25, 2007
Home Country
http://www.crossbarmedia.com/html/media_kit.html

I have a couple of these that I used back when Tivo was the bomb (and HD was a dream), they convert composite video sources into RF to be put into the cable wiring of your house, you get to choose the channel (between like 62 and 82) so you can still use standard cable, then just change the channel to say 72 and then the Tivo would show up... I think I picked them up for $75 for a set, which gave a single converter and a single receiver, so I had two, it allowed my Tivo and DVD player to be available throughout the house... the "receiver" was also an IR receiver, which put the IR command into the cable line and you could control the tivo from the other room... a $19 programmable remote an I had whole house video...

they were mono, the signal will be 480i in standard format (4:3)... anything you feed it via composite will fly...

Phil W

Portal Member
October 1, 2007
Thanks guys for these replies - I was hoping for a quick and easy solution but there doesn't look like there is one. (I'm in the UK so getting hold of those RF modulators will put the cost up even more!).

Guess I'll have to go with my original idea of thin clients next to the main TVs I'd want to watch anything on - more expensive but more flexible.

Phil

mgithens

Portal Member
December 25, 2007
Home Country
I seem to remember that some of the old ATI cards (like the 9400 AIW, etc) had the ability to OUTPUT on cable... (I just remember a scenario when I did this)... you would be tuned to channel 3 or 4 and have no remote capability, but they did do it!!

Dann

Portal Member
September 26, 2007
Home Country
Slovenia Slovenia
...u could use an old VCR (if u have one to throw away :D ) to do the job (it has the RF modulator built in) - from the pc's tv-out connect to the vcr's composite video input and then from the RF out on the vcr into the RF system (to your other tv's). Set the right video input on the vcr (to see your pc screen) and on some vcr's u can also set the RF output channel in the settings. Than just search the channel on the other tv's. If you see the picture on the tv, thst's it! To get the audio workin' you also have to connect a mini jack to dual chinc cable from the pc headphones out to the vcr audio input - the same input where the video is (composite video in, audio L in, audio R in).

I suggest to first test the connection to only one tv: PC > audio, video cables > vcr > RF cable > tv

When you connect this setup into the RF system - to multiple tvs, you may get a fuzzy picture (depends from the RF sistem you have in your house and the lenght of the RF cable from the vcr RF out to the input point of the RF house system - if u have it ), in this case you may need a preamplifier...

Final configuration if you don't already have the RF system in your house will be:

PC > audio, video cables > vcr > RF cable > RF (pre)amplifier > RF cable > RF signal splitter >

> RF cable >1. tv
> RF cable >2. tv
> RF cable >3. tv

The power of the amplifier depends on the number of tvs (more tvs, more powerful amplifier - should not cost much)
If you plan to do this, you do beter consult with your local antenna service. They will also suggest you about the amp, splitter and RF cables that you need better that i can from here.

...hope this helps someone :)

Dann

Portal Member
September 26, 2007
Home Country
Slovenia Slovenia
Yes, this would be also an option as this kind of devices are becomin' cheaper and some of them can transmit the signal to multiple receivers. This kind of devices also has an issue - the reception could be critical ( within a 10m radius shouldbe ok) - depends from the distance and bariers (walls etc) betwen the transmitter and the receiver.

cheers
Dann

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    you can easily get RF modulators from many electronics shops. They only cost about $10 each but you do need to wire them up. Even if you're a novice with a soldering iron it's pretty easy.
    Just make sure to get a UHF modulator, so you can just feed it in with the rest of the signals.

I've posted a few times about this before in greater detail, if you search for RF modulator you should find some good info.

Otherwise, the VCR idea is quite good with much less set up, but more power drawn and more bulky items needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom