[fixed] tray icon restores to wrong monitor (1 Viewer)

jimekus

Portal Member
July 13, 2012
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I use Direct3D in my own projects and it can be frustrating. MP probably has a routine which enumerates the KnownD3DAdapters and this might be zero based. The routine which chooses the monitor maybe 'one' based so the call may add or subtract one to the adapter number thinking it can equate to the monitor number. Depending on where the resize routine gets called, this could get called more than once depending on whether it is fullscreen or not. Sometimes I have to add +2 and other times -1 to the adapter number and still things can go wrong. When only two monitors are involved I get a simple toggle effect between monitors but with three such kluged code can cause a wrap around and end up on monitor three, like what is happening to my MP.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi :)

Will try to reproduce on my side :)
    I have 3 screens lucky you lol.

I just copy your mediaportal.xml to my current setup (to have your setting here) and let's try :)

Last edited:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Right now i can't reproduce it lol.

Can you describe step by step what you are doing ?

On my side :
    - Screen 3 (Left)
    - Screen 1 (middle and primary)
    - Screen 2 (right)

I have set MP to start on Screen 3.

1- Start MP (it start to Screen 3)
    2- If i focus to my Screen 1 or 2 or if i click on X to close MP -> MP goes to systray on my Screen 1.
    3- I double click on it and restore goes to Screen 3 (like it should).

So i'm surely missing something in procedure to reproduce. :)

Ps : i'm on Win 8.1

Did you turn off monitor after MP is in systray ?

Last edited:

jimekus

Portal Member
    July 13, 2012
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    On my side :
    - Screen 3 (Left)
    - Screen 2 (middle and primary)
    - Screen 1 (right)

I have set MP to start on Screen 1.

1- Start MP (to Screen 1)
    2- I click on X to close MP -> MP goes to systray on my Screen 2.
    3- I double click on it and restore goes to Screen 3 (like it shouldn't).

Because of my integrated graphics I can't change the numbers of my monitors. 1=HDMI: 2=DVI: 3=VGA

in MP general start screen drop list 1 & 2 are described identically, thus: -

Generic PnP Monitor (1280x720) on AMD HD 7540D

I'm on Win 7x64
    Did you turn off monitor after MP is in systray ? No

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Ok :)
    I have this setting :
    Will try to set MP on different screen to see if i can trigger it :)

upload_2014-6-8_11-48-33.png

jimekus

Portal Member
    July 13, 2012
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just in case this becomes hard to fix, I suggest that this may be a problem introduced by a later MS Direct3D update than what I previously used because, on my clean Win7x64 since installing MP 1.8 and its associated DirectX installs, my own program is misbehaving insofar as a little feature I programmed to transport a window to fullscreen up onto a different monitor. It was working for several years, according to my design, on my old Win7x64 install, but now I've lost accurate programmatic control of which monitor gets used. I've been too lazy to independently control my monitors an just assumed they would be adapter related. I suspect the problem is in my InitD3D routine, and if MP performs a similar function during a restore, this is where I would look for a bug.

Another program I use, Camtasia 8.4, is unable to choose between multiple webcams that have the same device name. Previously my monitors used to be enumerated by name as the Samsung, Benq and the Non-Pnp monitor. On this Win7 install the Samsung and Benq are both referred to as Generic Pnp Monitors. Having the same name for two devices maybe confusing Direct3D. It may also be the AMD graphics 14.6 driver. This driver I had to uninstall because whenever the Samsung was powered on all my windows on my primary monitor (Benq) would transfer to the Samsung. Re-powering the Samsung transferred them back to the Benq. After wiping all those AMD drivers I reverted to the latest Asus chipset collection, but some DirectX stuff maybe left behind.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Could you try the installer based on Jira link ?
    For me it solve the issue :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom