Trouble with 30" in monitor (1 Viewer)

DiNASTY

June 22, 2006
Hello all,

I discovered MP about a week ago and I'm having some issues (some common and some uncommon i think) The first is that none of the offered skins offer decent quality at high resolutions, namely 2560x1600. They appear stretched and off-centered... even the widescreen versions. I have some experience skinning so If this is indeed a current limitation, i might take a crack at a skin for us 30" Dell/Apple users.

Some other issues that I encountered were in the "My Pictures" screen. I have it setup to change pictures every 3 seconds in the slide show, and it takes about 8-12 seconds. Also, there is no way to advance to the next/previous picture while in the slide show. is that correct?

Some other issues that I'm having are more common i think (from reading the forums a bit)

Channel changing ~ 4-9 seconds
Random Freezing (Rare)
MP setup loading time
Slow screen changes

My system:

Dell XPS Gen 4
3.4Ghz P4 HT
7900GT KO
Hauppauge 150 w/ 43button Remote
Win XP Home
MP RC4

Let me also say that I know exactly how hard it is to create an app like this. I have been int the Car-PC scene for a few years now and have worked on and skinned an open-source app called "Road Runner" which is very similar to a MC app in some respect.

In that particular program, some of the issues above were solved by precashing the screens and the play-lists/directory lists during startup. This way the screens were already loaded into memory and changed almost instantaneously.

I think overall MP is a great full-featured app, but with an XPS honestly i was expecting it to be equivalent (if not faster) than XBMC was on my $150 xbox. Sadly that's not the case. I was initially thrilled at the long list of features, but they just arent practical at 5-6 second delays ya know? Are any speed improvements planned? If so, I would definitely hold out for the next release.

Thanks for reading,

-DiNASTY :D

chili

Portal Pro
September 20, 2004
somewhere in the bowels of Texas
The first is that none of the offered skins offer decent quality at high resolutions, namely 2560x1600. They appear stretched and off-centered... even the widescreen versions.

Have you attempted any screen calibration from within MP?

Some other issues that I encountered were in the "My Pictures" screen. I have it setup to change pictures every 3 seconds in the slide show, and it takes about 8-12 seconds. Also, there is no way to advance to the next/previous picture while in the slide show. is that correct?

Some other issues that I'm having are more common i think (from reading the forums a bit)

Channel changing ~ 4-9 seconds
Random Freezing (Rare)
MP setup loading time
Slow screen changes

Some of these issues could be from how you are set up for graphics... such as are you using overlay mode, or are you using vmr9, full screen exclusive, etc...

I think overall MP is a great full-featured app, but with an XPS honestly i was expecting it to be equivalent (if not faster) than XBMC was on my $150 xbox. Sadly that's not the case. I was initially thrilled at the long list of features, but they just arent practical at 5-6 second delays ya know? Are any speed improvements planned? If so, I would definitely hold out for the next release.

I have about half the system that you do and have no speed issues whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom