Trying MP, long time WMC-user (1 Viewer)

Henrik79

June 28, 2014
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hi!

We (me, wife, 2 kids 10 and 14) have been using WMC since the days of XP, and it has worked like a charm. But sadly ever since Microsoft decided to abandon this very special and deeply loved product (I even developed some plugins for it) things have gone from bad to worse. Recenty they seem to have done an update to netflix that caused the WMC netflix to break down at places, I figured it is time to start looking elsewhere. XBMC and MP came up as candidates and after fighting with the XBMC tv setup for a few hour, and abondoned it, a fellow developer at work suggested I should try MP.

Said and done, I downloaded it, installed it with TV support, and got it up and running in no-time. I do have a few (stupid probably) questions:

1) Is there a good skin that offer a much better layout than standard MP? I feel the WMC deign with pivot menus, galleries and a single screen start menu offer a much more streamlined and easier navigation than the standard MP plugin with involves lots of scrolling, sub-menus and list drill downs for navigation. My wife tested it briefly, and she also feels like a step back from the slick WMC layout with very simple navigation, aspecially with the WMC remote... Just look at the "internet tv" plugin in WMC to see how a really good "online tv" user interface should be developed.... surely it can be created in MP...

2) How on earth can we navigate to the "now playing" viewport that appears on the start menu if I start play a video and press "back". The most logic way is to just press Up on the remote or keyboard to focus on the viewport, then press OK or Enter to keep playing in fullscreen. But no matter what I try, I can only navigate to the viewport by using the mouse, only then does the blue border appear which suggests it is in focus. Is this a bug? If not, it is very strange design if you ask me. If there is a UI element that is put in such a central location as on the start menu, centered, on top, and you can't navigate to it, that is really bad. Do please fix this ASAP!!! I did a blind test with other family members, both those that are WMC users, and not, and everyoneof themtried to press up button to go tho this viewport to keep watching... my question was "Ok, now you have stepped back from the video, how do you go back to it to continue watching?" SOme even tried to press play directly...

3) Where is netflix? Plain and simple... we consume 2 types of media in this home, netflix and DVB-T TV... even though we live in the land of the pirate bay... And where are any other movie renting services so we can consume movies legally? I am loking for services such as magine, viaplay, sf anytime etc....

I really thing MP is an awesome product which has a REALLY big advantage over WMC: It is still under development, which mean that we all can help out to make it a really KILLER HTPC FRONTEND. Funny enough, you can't even buy a better one anymore, lol.

/H

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Regarding 1) MP has standart navigation. Main menu could be scrolled vertically or horizontally depending of skin. Did you try to switch between Classic Home menu and Basic Home (H on keyboard)? Navigation between them differs very much. Basic Home navigation could be with two levels.

Henrik79

June 28, 2014
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Regarding 1) MP has standart navigation. Main menu could be scrolled vertically or horizontally depending of skin. Did you try to switch between Classic Home menu and Basic Home (H on keyboard)? Navigation between them differs very much. Basic Home navigation could be with two levels.

Hi!
    Yes I tried the basic one and it didn't make any sense at all, since it jumped to a whole new screen. Too many button pushes to do something. The classic one feels better since when I press "TV" I get a sub menu where I can select different tv actions. But still, I wonder if there is a WMC lookalike skin somewhere... ;)

/H

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Well, in case you know c# you can code any interface you want since MP source code is open :)

Henrik79

June 28, 2014
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Have a look at Maya HD. Dont think there is any skin that comes closer to Mce's GUI.

Hi!

Yeah I just tested Maya HD, and is it really finished? The navigation and layout feels very inconsistant and strange... an obvious example, on the main screen the time is at the upper right corver, but the date is at the bottom center just floating there by itself. It generally lacks consistancy when jumping between the different screens, I made my wife try it out, and she was just as confused as I was. I guess since we have been running WMC for such a long time we are kind of biased, but I think any skin developer should take a look at that UI and steal the "best" stuff from it :) I feel that MP has much better movie galleries, info scraping and generally much better support for content stored on disk, WMC just had the Videos and Movies galleries which are both kind of basic. But in terms of overall consistency, and "look and feel", MP doesn't come close, which is kind of sad, since WMC is just "there to copy"... :) All the different skins and layouts I have tried reminds me a LOT of the old XP Media Center, back in the days where "more is less"... big blaffy icons, lots of differnt colors etc. Now with Modern UI (that W7MC kind of introduced) there is a whole different ballgame.

I also tried the Avalon plugin, but got an error message when loading, something about an xml file that is missing. Pass on that one.

MP feels more of a complete product in terms of features generally, and support of downloaded content. I just wish the UI could be just as complete.

We will keep testing this product, looking for skins that might work better, and if I get some time I might even tries to do something myself.

cheers!

PS We still haven't figured out how to get to the "now playing" viewport ;) DS Maybe put me on the testers team....[DOUBLEPOST=1403988215][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Well, in case you know c# you can code any interface you want since MP source code is open :)

If it is WPF, I would love to... I even know MCML a bit, developed a plugin for WMC back in the days. Never got around to release it though...

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey,
    sound like very high expectations regarding skins ;P.
    I personaly always thought the skins from the north coders were very clean and consistent. These are the skins Titan, Avalon and Maya.
    Mediaportal comes with 2 skins, Titan and Classic (Classic Wide), i dont know which one you tested, but maybe Classic Wide is something for you?
    Otherwise, just browse the skin section of this forum. StreamedMP is another one that is quite popular.

Your focus of videos problem... You can use the X key to get the video to fullscreen again. But i guess you want to use your remote. So you may need to add a new key/button mapping for that. Have a look here: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...Portal_Configuration/8_Remote/Mapping_Buttons

For netflix, you could try this plugin: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/netflix-plugin-netflixalpha.119145/
    However as far as i know its still in alpha.

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Welcome to Mediaportal!

To get to the now playing screen you can simply press 'x' on the keyboard. With the remote it is also possible, but that depends on the remote.

About online services like Netflix, there is a plugin for that. All the other I don't know or they don't exist.

JackTramiel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 22, 2006
    Recklinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    "now playing" viewport means changing from main menu back to playback? Press the red button. As far as i remember you will probably have to change your remote control handling too. I would start playing around with Default wide Skin some time to get used to mepo.

Edit: Since you are coming from mce i suspect you are using a mce remote.

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    About skins, I use titanius at the moment. Is a mod from titan. streamedmp is a good one. Oneportal is a nice skin with a different approach than most other skins.

But to be honest, the GUI is one of the few weak points of mediaportal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom