Trying to fix software restriction policy (1 Viewer)

MPnube77

July 30, 2013
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello,

Have a new Win7 system and new to WMC. WMC was simple to run. Installed MP 1.3.0.0 a few days ago, set up server and client as singleseat, and passed the communicate with server test. Used HD ATSC USB stick tuner that worked fine with WMC. Everything went through the motions fine but I never received any channels. Spent 2 days going through forums and setup guides but nothing worked. Uninstalled MP 1.3.0.0 at which point the computer started locking up. Attempted reboot but Win7 was wiped out and only got a flashing curser after BIOS. VERY mad at this point. After a day of frantic diagnostics and reconstruction, have system up to limited usage. This is a fairly new computer so I had not backed it up yet.

Any attempt to start any WMC functions results in "Windows cannot open this program because it has been prevented by a software restriction policy. For more information, contact your system administrator".

This is a postmortem request for help. All I want to do now is get rid the software restriction. Later after I'm sure my system is 100%, I might try MP again, but right now I have a real bad taste in my mouth.

Thank you.

Toddi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 29, 2008
    Kiel
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

please extract the attached zip-file and doubleclick reg-file. It disables the policy, which prevents WMC services from starting.
    Afterwards please restart computer.

Attachments

• Enable WMC.zip
      315 bytes

MPnube77

July 30, 2013
    Home Country
    @Toddi-Thanks for the zip. Register values were added ok. Will not restart until my current hot-image backup finishes ( 6 hrs ). Will post on its success.
    @Spragleknas-I downloaded 1.3 because I understood ( or misunderstood ) that it was the latest stable build. Maybe I should have asked for help but I thought an uninstall and reinstall might fix it. Thanks very much for both your help.

Doug Robinson

December 3, 2014
    Home Country
    MP should ABSOLUTELY warn uses BEFORE INSTALLING that this program will disable WMP!

I am a new use and just installed tonight... I too, went through the install and config process, only to find no channels are showing up when I try to watch TV. Also, the guide is not populated. At this point, I'm not really sure if it's worth all the time to find out why this isn't working. Do I want to start a multi-hour project, where I will need to scour forums and Wikis, etc? Just to have a new PVR program what (might) be better than WMP? Not sure...

Now, after reading the first post, I'm a little afraid to even uninstall, as I use this PC for work and I can't risk any type of downtime.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Doug

MP should ABSOLUTELY warn uses BEFORE INSTALLING that this program will disable WMP!
    MP doesn't disable WMP. :confused:
    If you meant WMC, that is only disabled by manual action. Doesn't seem much point in warning if somebody chooses to do something.
    So to be clear: installing MP does not touch WMP or WMC in any way. After installing you can choose to disable WMC services to enable MP to operate better.

I too, went through the install and config process, only to find no channels are showing up when I try to watch TV.
    Channels won't show up until you tell MP's TV Server to use your tuner(s) to scan for channels:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...rver_Configuration/02_TV_Servers/7b_Scan_ATSC

Also, the guide is not populated.
    That's normal, as has been previously explained here and in many other places:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/setup-help.124506/#post-1061869

Do I want to start a multi-hour project, where I will need to scour forums and Wikis, etc? Just to have a new PVR program what (might) be better than WMP? Not sure...
    That's completely up to you.
    One of the advantages MP has over WMP/WMC is its flexibility. The flip-side of that is that setup can be more complex. If you don't want to invest much time configuring things to your liking then maybe MP is not for you. That would be fine by us. The point is that you have choice, which we think is a good thing.

Now, after reading the first post, I'm a little afraid to even uninstall, as I use this PC for work and I can't risk any type of downtime.
    With the greatest respect, there's absolutely no cause to be afraid. If you want to uninstall then feel free to just do it. There's no risk.

Regards,
    mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom