Tutorial after the Exampleplugin with GUI (1 Viewer)

W

wpeereboom

Hello Media Portal Team,

It's a really interesting porject so far and i really like to invest my time in helping programming this application. I bought a house this year and would like to automate a lot of things like the lights in the house etc. And ofcource with my htpc. So i would like to help developing Media Portal. I am a experienced webdeveloper but a beginner in c#. That's why i followed the tutor of the Example Plugin. After completion i said to myself godd job, now the next step". I though of creating a gui. So i could choice another option in my HOME menu of Media Portal like. "Show me my name". But after some advise of one of you on the forum of having a look at Myrecipies or Mynews i came to the conclusion it's to difficult. the step is to big from Example plugin to GuiPlugin.

So i really would like to ask if sameone can give me a tutorial of making a gui in Mediaportal or send me some really basic code in c# or vb for implementing my own GUIPlugin . (Maybe i call it "Show me my name" :lol:

Thanks

Win

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
December 7, 2004
United Kingdom
I will try to oblige at some stage through the day, that said, there's nothing better than just rolling up your sleeves and jumping right in there!

Also, there is already a document describing what you need to do, couldn't find it just now but a quick search should get you to it.

CoolHammer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2004
    Finland
    I did same journey few weeks ago. I'm one of those wannabe programmers so i don't have much experience of programming c#.

First you need a xml file for your gui. I took mine from RSSFeed (mynews)
    Modify it to bit simpler.

Then all you need is add few controls (again cut copy paste) from MyNews.

Mine plugin currently shows only few controls, so i'm learning day by day more :)

CoolHammer

W

wpeereboom

Allready thanks, and if one of you have a good link, please tell.

I will go on i try to get the best of it.

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Okay, I've written a My Example plugin. Its just about as basic as you can get, when you click the 'Click me...' button you'll be presented with the virtual keyboard, whatever you type here will be shown in the label upon closing the keyboard.

The following needs to be added to language\<locale>\strings.xml

<string><id>20001</id><value>My Example</value></string>
    <string><id>20002</id><value>Hi there!</value></string>
    <string><id>20003</id><value>Click me...</value></string>

The skin used is Samsonite's excellent BlueTwo so if you use another skin you will need to copy skin\BlueTwo\myexample.xml to the skin\<skin>\myexample.xml.

The zip file here contains the source and shoud be unzipped to your MP source folder (in my case its D:\Source Code\clients\internal\MediaPortal\).

Uploading now...

Also, you'll need to copy the skin xml into the debug folder if you plan to use a debug build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom