tv card selection (1 Viewer)

hallon

Portal Member
August 30, 2005
i'm looking for a simple tv-card thar works with MP.

any recomendations?

i've looked at the following cards:
PINNACLE PCTV PMC 100I
PINNACLE PCTV pro
hauppauge PVR-150
hauppauge PVR-150MCE looks good
any other card i should consider?

the pinnacle 100i is half the price.... is it good enough?

whats the difference between PVR-150MCE and PVR-150? beside the remote and fm-radio...

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
If you're planning on using MP with basic cable, I'd definately suggest spending the extra $$ to buy a Hauppauge PVR-500 dual tuner card so that you can watch, and record two separate programs. You'll wonder how you ever did without it.

I've been running mine now for almost a year and I love it! I plan on putting a 2nd 500PVR into my MP box to give me 4 tuners. The anticipation is already making me breath heavy! LOL

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I advise you to go with Hauppauge cards, they have the best feature support in MP for analog tuners and are very tweakable. it's well worth taking the Hauppauge PVR500MCE.

I have in my HTPC:
    Hauppauge PVR250 MCE - good tuner
    Hauppauge PVR500 MCE - excelent tuner(s)
    Winfast PVR2000 - the lesser of my tuners

Peter

hallon

Portal Member
    August 30, 2005
    ok thanks!

but i don't need a dual tuner...

i have read the list of supported capture cards a few times. and both pinnacle 100i and hauppauge pvr-150 are supported.
    according to this list the hauppauge pvr-150 is a h/w type and pinnacle 100i is not, what's this?

how about the tv quality? is pinnacle 100i good enough? is hauppauge pvr-150 better?

lugiber

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2004
    Sweden
    hallon said:
    i have read the list of supported capture cards a few times. and both pinnacle 100i and hauppauge pvr-150 are supported.
    according to this list the hauppauge pvr-150 is a h/w type and pinnacle 100i is not, what's this?

If the pinnacle is not a h/w card then don't buy it!
    A h/w card uses only the tv card to compress and save recorded tv to your harddrive. A card that doesn't have hardware encoding will most likley use most of the juice from your processor while recording/watching tv. I'm not even sure that timeshifting (to pause live tv) is possible with s/w cards.

/Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom