TV Card with HDTV/Wheres the Sky card go? (1 Viewer)

Program.X

Portal Pro
October 25, 2005
Ramsey, Isle of Man
Looking to round off my HTPC with a decent TV Card and I have a few questions:

1/ Does MP support HDTV? If so, is there a supported card that will work with Sky HD?
2/ Failing that (assuming it falls back to SD if HD is unavailable), is this card http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pages/products/data_nexus.html (Hauppauge WinTV Nexus S) a good buy and is it supported?
3/ What I don't get is how these Satellite devices work with the likes of Sky without a viewing card. Can someone please enlighten me?

Thats all for now. Thanks

Program.X

Portal Pro
October 25, 2005
Ramsey, Isle of Man
Ok, I think I've answered my own question. Sky don't allow encrypted signals to be decrypted in anything other than their set-top boxes?

Therefore, I would like a solution which allows the use of an IR Blaster and an appropriate capture card that works with MediaPortal.

Any recommendations?

I would also like the Capture Card to capture other video sources, such as my DVD Player and TiVo without much fiddlign with wires.

Program.X

Portal Pro
October 25, 2005
Ramsey, Isle of Man
Hello again.

I'm quite stuck with all this, so apologies for the continued posting - I just don't want to waste my money!

Okay, so would a Hybrid card which allows Video Capture be suitable for receiving the signal from a Sky Digibox? If so, how can I make it change channels. I guess this would be using some form of IR Blaster?

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Yep, you are going to need some sort of IR blaster to control your STB. Something like the USB-UIRT would be great if you already have an IR remote, or the windows MCE remote would be good if you don't already have a remote. Both have an IR blaster that you can use to controll your digibox.

As for your other questions regarding TV card choices - im sorry I cant give much input as our TV system is much different, and our products vary because of this. I know that HDTV support is planned, but I dont believe its fully mature yet; I know there is a thread in general discussion about ATSC support but again, that is only a North American cable issue.

Program.X

Portal Pro
    October 25, 2005
    Ramsey, Isle of Man
    Excellent. Thanks for your response!

I am buying the MCE kit anyway to qualify for the OEM License of MCE, so that solves that problem.

I will probably go for a decent Digital TV Card with Capture and then upgrade when HDTV arrives.

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom