TV Quality via bitrate (1 Viewer)

aikon

Portal Member
July 21, 2005
Odense
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi all,

Have TV server engine 0.3 up and running. I have all configured and running and the only thing that keep me from using it instead of my MCE 2005 is the picture quality of the new TV Server.

I found out that the Nvidia decoders does the best job for a good picture quality and it also shows how much bitrate the tv-picture is using. When running in MCE 2005 the bitrate goes from around 6 to 8000. When using TV Server the bitrate is about 3-4000 = VERY LOW = Poor video quality.

I have Hauppuage PVR 500 (dual tuner/analog tv-card) and using this in the 0.2.2.0 version of mediaportal without the TV Engine 0.3 the quality is fine as I can put in the desired bitrate in the configuration of mediaportal. But this can not be done in the TV Server as far as I know!

So - how can I change this in the new TV Server - so that I get the bitrate up to about 8000 for the encoded tvstream?

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Currently, just changing the code and recompiling.

Theres not an option (yet) to set the desired video quality/bitrate for hauyppauge and TVE3.

diehard2

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi,

I'm the person that implemented the quality control for the Hauppauge cards. They do not behave well above the bitrate that is currently being used. I believe the flaw is in a third party library the tv server uses, but I won't have time for several months to track that down. I don't even know if it can be fixed. It doesn't matter how fast your computer is. At bitrates higher than the current settings, your tv will significantly stutter. If recording at a high quality is important to you, I suggest you stick with TVE 2. Sorry.

diehard2

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    All analog mpeg2 hardware encoding Hauppauge cards. The interface is essentially the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom