tv recording process (2 Viewers)

mepoes

Portal Member
May 27, 2011
Home Country
Hi everyone, im fairly new to media portal and im still working out how it all runs.
last night i was trying to record a TV show and i thought while that was recording i would watch a video on the hard drive. this seemed to cause the recording to fail.
My question is how does the recording process work. if im recording, does media portal need to stay in the TV section the whole time or can i do other things such as view photos etc.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi mepoes

You should definitely be able to do other things. You can even close MP client altogether because it is the TV Server (which runs constantly as a background process) that actually does the recording. Having said that, if you do HDD intensive activities (virus scans, video re-encoding etc.) then you run the risk of "upsetting" the recording by working the HDD too hard. That is especially true if your HDD is a "green" 5400rpm drive...

Have you got some logs that you could post - we may be able to see what happened.

[Edit: I think craigparris1 gave you pretty much the same answer here. Please don't start two threads about the same thing...]

mepoes

Portal Member
    May 27, 2011
    Home Country
    sorry about that mm1352000, i thought i might have posted this tread in the wrong location and i wasnt sure how to remove it. i have a few ideas on what im going to try. i might order a faster HDD and create a batch file to move files off it over night to the external HDD when no recordings will be happening.

thanks for the advice.

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    I think its unlikely that playing a video stopped a recording.Even a slow hard drive is capable of writing the TV stream and playing a video at the same time.

Its probably something else that caused the recording to fail.

I have slow hard drives in my media centre/file server, and have never had problems playing back multiple files while recording multiple streams.

If it happens again, post the logs and we can take a look

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom