TV Serie / Season as a resumeable playlist (1 Viewer)

Smeulf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2010
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Once again an extension of an idea (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/resumable-playlist.117277/) :

For every serie and season, the serie plugin would create a ('ghost' or hidden ?) playlist. Then on every serie or season, we could have an option to resume the playlist on the last point. Really easier to watch a serie IMO.

Also, adding an episode in the serie would add the element at the right place in the playlist, according choosen ordering.

Comments are welcome.

Cheers.

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Resume files: OK
    Resume playlists: OK

But I don't agree playlist handling for the MediaAspect of Series in special. Using playlists for these tasks and use them only in the code is a extreme hacky from the developer point of view.

But changing the feature request title and description a bit, I think I can agree with you.
    I assume all you want to do is to see the things which you have already watched and which not.
    So in example:
    • You open "Series" all series are displayed
    • You open "Dexter" all seasons are displayed, if you have multiple.
      If you have only one, it straight opens this one season.
      If you have multiple, it selects the first season which has unwatched episodes.
      If all seasons are completely watched, it selects the very first season.
    • You open a "Season 5" all episodes are disaplayed.
      It selects the first unwatched episode.
      If episodes are watched, it selects the very first episode.
    "Select" means here only highlighting / focusing the item, NOT starting.

Is this a behavior you could live with? Which covers what you are looking for?

Nevertheless, this is currently not possible, yet.
    The views / filters in media plugin are relative static, yet. So this needs to be extended to be more flexible and configurable.
    I.e. There might be an option / attribute for a filter: "DefaultSelectedItem" which could is "FirstItem" by default, so for all audio and video views, like movies, music etc. and for the "Season" and "Episode" view this could be set to "FirstUnwatchedItem".

hardcorehire

Portal Pro
    April 1, 2008
    OHIO
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Just my thoughts...I really like the way most netflix applications work where you just hit play and starts playing from the last watched episode. Usually it's the same person or group of people watching a series one after another. I'm always looking for a way to simplify navigation. I really like things handled in the background for WAF. Too many times my wife or dad who comes to visit just wants things as simple as possible, and not have to navigate menus or lists. They just want things to work by hitting as few a buttons as possible.

Smeulf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2010
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    @chefkoch :

Well, the way you presnet it, yes it can fit. IIRC it's the way MP1 TV Series works right ?

But there was also an idea behind the playlist for serie/season : It can provide a way to see many episodes without touching anything. IE when watching multiple 20 minutes episodes of a manga ^^ But maybe we can find a way to provide such a function ?

Cheers.

Last edited:

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok, gotcha :)

Yep, I agree, but here we end in another new feature independent from the "Resume"-feature:
    Current behaviour:
    There is only a, let's call it: "Open"-Command within the media plugin.
    In case you are selecting a folder it opens the folder.
    In case you are selecting a media item it opens starts the media item playback.

Requested feature 1):
    So what we are looking for is another command: Let's call it "Play".
    This should be trigger if the Play-Button on remote or Play on the media keys is being pressed.
    In this case all the media items within the selected folder will be en-queued and played.

Requested feature 2):
    The view/filter should be configurable to en-queue only unwatched media items.

Thinking more and more about it, the "hidden playlist" handling is an awesome idea: Image you press play on a folder of pictures after few pics you stopped. Then you press play again on the folder and you'll be asked whether to resume or not.

So let's not stick this to TVSeries or Season, it might also be useful for pictures and music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom